Solving for the Wind Force on a Skier on a Slope

In summary, the skier experiences a net force of 577.04 N acting in the negative x direction due to the wind.
lfwake2wake

Homework Statement

A 54 kg skier skis directly down a frictionless slope angled at 12° to the horizontal. Choose the positive direction of the x-axis to be downhill along the slope. A wind force with component Fx acts on the skier. What is Fx if the magnitude of the skier's velocity is (a) constant, (b) increasing at a rate of 1.1 m/s2, and (c) increasing at a rate of 2.2 m/s^2

Homework Equations

Fx=M*ax
Fy=M*ay

The Attempt at a Solution

First I need to solve for the weight acting in the x direction. Putting the positive x direction relevant to the motion of the skier, I get:

a. Fx=M*g*cos(12)=517.64 N
b. Since having no net force on an object gives no acceleration, by setting the force of the wind equal to the force of gravity in the x direction, this is achieved.

Fx(wind)=517.64 in the negative x direction
Ftotal=Fxg-Fxw Since Ftotal=0, Fxg=Fxw

c. Now is where I'm having trouble. If it is increasing at a velocity of 1.1 m/s^2, then a=1.1 m/s^2. So to find the acceraltion in x, the net force is divided by the mass, I think.

F=ma ===>>> 517.64 N / 54 kg = 9.5858 m/s^2. So now, I think i need to subtract 1.1 m/s^2 from that answer and multiply again by 54 to find the solution. So 9.5858 +1.1=10.69 m/s^2 * 54kg=577.04 N

d. Same as above, but add 2.2 to 9.5858...636.44 N

I'm not sure if any of this is right. Thanks in advance for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Im sure you know this, but there is no (d), the answer i gave for (b) was a continuation of (a).

"Fx=M*g*cos(12)=517.64 N"

but shouldn't that be sin?

Yes, that definitely should be sin, other than that, does it look correct, I feel like I'm missing something on such a basic problem.

c. Now is where I'm having trouble. If it is increasing at a velocity of 1.1 m/s^2, then a=1.1 m/s^2. So to find the acceraltion in x, the net force is divided by the mass, I think.

but net force is equal to m*1.1?

I figured it out...Insted of adding the accelerations, they needed to be subtracted as Fx is the force of the wind in relation to the motion of the skier. Thanks for the help.

lfwake2wake said:
I figured it out...Insted of adding the accelerations, they needed to be subtracted as Fx is the force of the wind in relation to the motion of the skier. Thanks for the help.

instead of using accelerations like that, I'd stick with forces...

Find the net force you need for the given acceleration... then use the fact that:

Fgravity - Fwind = m * acceleration

It is just like the first part except instead of 0 on the right side, you have a different value...

awesome!

never forget FBDs

Related to Solving for the Wind Force on a Skier on a Slope

What is the formula for calculating wind force on a skier?

The formula for calculating wind force on a skier is F = ρAV², where F is the force in Newtons, ρ is the density of air, A is the projected area of the skier, and V is the velocity of the wind.

How does the slope of the ski slope affect wind force on a skier?

The slope of the ski slope does not directly affect wind force on a skier. However, steeper slopes may result in higher wind speeds, which can increase the wind force experienced by the skier.

What other factors can affect wind force on a skier?

Other factors that can affect wind force on a skier include the skier's body position, the shape and size of the skier's equipment, and the direction and consistency of the wind.

Is wind force the only force acting on a skier on a slope?

No, wind force is not the only force acting on a skier on a slope. The skier will also experience the force of gravity, friction from the snow, and air resistance. These forces can all interact with the wind force, affecting the skier's overall movement.

How can wind force on a skier be minimized?

To minimize wind force on a skier, the skier can adjust their body position to reduce their projected area, choose equipment with a smaller surface area, and ski in a direction that is more sheltered from the wind. Additionally, wearing aerodynamic clothing can also help reduce wind force.