Solving for Tension of Inextensible String System

In summary, a light inextensible string passes over a fixed pulley A, under a movable pulley B of mass M and then over a second fixed pulley C. A mass m is attached to one end of the string and a mass 3m is attached to the other end. When the system is released from rest, the tension t in the string can be proven to be given by the equation t(1/m + 1/3m) = g (where g stands for gravity) by using the equations t - mg = ma and t - 3mg = 3mb, and multiplying them by 6m and M respectively. This results in the equation 12Mmg = 12mt +
markosheehan
a light inextensible string passes over a fixed pulley A, under a movable pulley B of mass M and then over a second fixed pulley C. A mass m is attached to one end of the string and a mass 3m is attached to the other end. the system is released from rest. (i) prove that the tension t in the string is given by the equation t(1/m + 1/3m)=g (g stands for gravity) i can't prove this even though i feel like i am doing all the the right equations. the 3 equations i get by using f=ma and looking at all the particles seperately are t-mg=ma t-3mg=3mb Mg-2t=M(a/2 + b/2) a stands for the acceleration the particle of mass m. b stands for the acceleration of the particle of mass 3m. a/2 + b/2 stands for the acceleration . when i get a and b on there own from the first 2 equations and put this in for a and b in the last equation i do not get the answer required. i can post a picture of the diagram in the question if anyone needs it. any help much appreciated

Mathematics news on Phys.org
markosheehan said:
a light inextensible string passes over a fixed pulley A, under a movable pulley B of mass M and then over a second fixed pulley C. A mass m is attached to one end of the string and a mass 3m is attached to the other end. the system is released from rest. (i) prove that the tension t in the string is given by the equation t(1/m + 1/3m)=g (g stands for gravity) i can't prove this even though i feel like i am doing all the the right equations. the 3 equations i get by using f=ma and looking at all the particles seperately are t-mg=ma t-3mg=3mb Mg-2t=M(a/2 + b/2) a stands for the acceleration the particle of mass m. b stands for the acceleration of the particle of mass 3m. a/2 + b/2 stands for the acceleration . when i get a and b on there own from the first 2 equations and put this in for a and b in the last equation i do not get the answer required. i can post a picture of the diagram in the question if anyone needs it. any help much appreciated

I am new to these forums and noticed your problem in the unanswered list so I thought I would have a look at it.
The good news is that your mechanics was good and I agree with your equations, you must have made a slip in their solution.
Here is my working.

(1) t - mg = ma
(2) t - 3mg = 3mb
3times equation (1) minus (2) gives (3) 2t = 3ma - 3mb

(4) Mg - 2t = M(a/2 + b/2) mutiply this by 6m (5) 6Mmg - 12mt = 3Mma +3Mmb
(5) + M times (3) gives (6) 6Mmg - 12mt + 2Mt = 6Mma

6M times equation (1) gives (7) 6Mt - 6Mmg = 6Mma
putting (6) and (7) together 6Mmg -12mt +2Mt = 6Mt - 6Mmg
rearranging 12Mmg = 12mt + 4Mt dividing this by 12Mm gives the result required.

Related to Solving for Tension of Inextensible String System

1. What is tension in a string system?

Tension is the force applied to a string or other object in order to keep it taut and resist any external forces acting on it.

2. How do you calculate tension in an inextensible string system?

Tension in an inextensible string system can be calculated using the equation T = F/A, where T is the tension, F is the applied force, and A is the cross-sectional area of the string.

3. Can tension in a string system ever be negative?

No, tension cannot be negative. It is a force that always acts in the direction of the string, and therefore can only have positive values.

4. What factors affect the tension in a string system?

The tension in a string system is affected by the magnitude of the applied force, the length of the string, and the properties of the material the string is made of, such as its elasticity and strength.

5. How is tension in a string system used in real-world applications?

Tension in a string system is used in various real-world applications, such as in musical instruments, bridge construction, and weightlifting. It is also a key concept in understanding the behavior of structures and materials under different forces.