Solving for tan γ: Understanding the Relationship between d/l and h/l"

• Thread starter Expat09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of dimensionless terms in a problem and why tan γ is expressed in terms of d/l and h/l instead of d and h. The author explains that all other terms in the problem are dimensionless and to maintain consistency, a common length, l, is used to make d/l and h/l dimensionless as well. This approach helps to eliminate units and simplify the problem.
Expat09
This is more a question about how the problem is written, rather than a question about how to do the problem

vmUrc.jpg

Why do they ask for tan γ in terms of d/l and h/l, rather than d and h? Is there some relation that I'm just not seeing? I'm pretty sure I know how to do the problem in terms of d and h, but the d/l and h/l terms are throwing me off

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Expat09.

If you look at all the rest of the terms, all of them are dimensionless. By this I mean, they have no units.

[itex] \theta[/itex] is in radians, which are dimensionless
[itex] \alpha[/itex] and [itex] \beta[/itex] are just constants to scale h and l.

Therefore, to make h and d dimensionless, the author chose a common length, l, to make it so there are no units for d/l and h/l.

Does this help at all?

Related to Solving for tan γ: Understanding the Relationship between d/l and h/l"

What is tan γ and how is it related to d/l and h/l?

Tan γ is the tangent of an angle γ, which is one of the trigonometric functions used to calculate the relationship between the sides of a right triangle. It is related to d/l and h/l because it represents the ratio of the lengths of the opposite and adjacent sides, which is d/l and h/l respectively.

Why is it important to solve for tan γ?

Solving for tan γ allows us to understand the relationship between the sides of a right triangle and use this information to solve various problems in mathematics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It is also a fundamental concept in trigonometry and is used in many real-life applications.

What is the formula for solving for tan γ?

The formula for solving for tan γ is tan γ = opposite/adjacent = d/l divided by h/l. This means that tan γ can be calculated by dividing the length of the opposite side by the length of the adjacent side in a right triangle.

Can tan γ be negative?

Yes, tan γ can be negative. This happens when the angle γ is in the second or fourth quadrant of the coordinate plane. In these quadrants, the opposite and adjacent sides have opposite signs, resulting in a negative value for tan γ.

How can solving for tan γ be applied in real life?

Solving for tan γ can be applied in various fields such as navigation, surveying, and engineering. For example, it can be used to calculate the height of a building or the distance between two points on a map. It is also used in physics to calculate the forces acting on an object at an angle.