Solving for Sin with no calculator

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for sine without a calculator and converting a sine value to an angle. It also mentions potential use of memorization for Pythagorean Triple angles.
BeautifulLight
Solving for Sin with no calculator + additional questions

Untitled.jpg

Sinθ=opp/hyp

Sinθ=5/3

Sinθ=1.6

I know the answer is 35.87°. I would like to convert 1.6 to 35.87° but am unsure how.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
BeautifulLight said:
View attachment 72721

Sinθ=opp/hyp

Sinθ=5/3

Sinθ=1.6

I know the answer is 35.87°. I would like to convert 1.6 to 35.87° but am unsure how.

Sinθ=3/5=0.6. You need a calculator or sine table.

mathman said:
Sinθ=3/5=0.6. You need a calculator or sine table.

Oops!

It's impossible to figure out? I am trying to prepare myself for the Accuplacer exam. Calculators are not allowed.

This is not an angle that any reasonable person would expect you to know the sine, cosine, or other trig functions for. So finding that angle means that you'll need to use something to get an approximation; i.e., a calculator or table of trig functions.

A more serious problem is that you misused the formula and calculated hyp/opp, instead of opp/hyp. Also, getting a value larger than 1 for the sine of an angle should have been a red flag. The values of sine and cosine are always between -1 and +1 for real number angles.

It's a 3-4-5 triangle. Might someone have suggested memorization of its Pythagorean Triple angles, similar to memorizing the unit circle functions?

Doug Huffman said:
It's a 3-4-5 triangle. Might someone have suggested memorization of its Pythagorean Triple angles, similar to memorizing the unit circle functions?
Not that I've seen in numerous precalc/trig textbooks. The usual angles to be memorized are 0°, 30°, 45°, 60°, and 90°, along with their counterparts in the other three quadrants.

Related to Solving for Sin with no calculator

1. What is the formula for solving for Sin without a calculator?

The formula for solving for Sin without a calculator is sin(x) = opposite/hypotenuse.

2. How do I find the value of Sin without a calculator?

To find the value of Sin without a calculator, you will need to know the length of the opposite side and the hypotenuse of a right triangle. Then, use the formula sin(x) = opposite/hypotenuse to solve for Sin.

3. Can I use trigonometric identities to solve for Sin without a calculator?

Yes, you can use trigonometric identities such as the Pythagorean identity (sin²(x) + cos²(x) = 1) and the double angle identity (sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x)) to solve for Sin without a calculator.

4. What are some tips for solving for Sin without a calculator?

Some tips for solving for Sin without a calculator include knowing the basic trigonometric functions and their values, understanding the relationships between angles and sides in a right triangle, and using trigonometric identities to simplify the problem.

5. Is it necessary to memorize the values of Sin for different angles to solve without a calculator?

No, it is not necessary to memorize the values of Sin for different angles. You can use the trigonometric functions on a calculator to find the values, or you can estimate using the values you do know and the relationships between angles and sides in a right triangle.