Solving for simultaneous equations

In summary, the simultaneous equations given in (i) have no real solution and the value of $a^4+b^4+c^4$ found using the results from (ii) is $\frac{25}{6}$. This was determined using various techniques such as solving for $a$ in the first equation and substituting into the remaining equations, using an auxiliary equation and linear homogeneous recursion, and using Newton's identities to find the cubic equation $x^3-x^2-\frac{1}{2}x-\frac{1}{6}=0$ whose roots are $a,b,c$. Finally, the value of $a^4+b^4+c^4$ was found to be $\frac{25}{6}$
Albert1
( i ) prove the following simultaneous equations (1) (2) and (3) has no real solution

$a+b+c=1-----(1)$

$a^2+b^2+c^2=2----(2)$

$a^3+b^3+c^3=3----(3)$

( ii ) using (1)(2)and(3)find the value of :

$a^4+b^4+c^4$

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: solving for simultaneous equations

Here's my solution to part (i). Not really the most elegant but gets it done. Solving eqn (1) for $c$ and substituting into the remaining two equations gives (with appropriate scaling)

$b^2 +(a-1)b +a^2-a-\dfrac{1}{2} = 0$

$(a-1)b^2+(a-1)^2b-a^2+a+\dfrac{2}{3}=0$

Eliminating $b$ between these two gives that $a$ satisfies the cubic

$6a^3-6a^2-3a-1 = 0$

Via a variety of techniques we can show that this cubic has only one real root and it's lies in the interval $(1,2)$ so $a > 1$.

Next we will show that the first equation for $b$ has complex roots for this value of $a$. To show this is to show that

$(a-1)^2 - 4(a^2-a-\dfrac{1}{2}) < 0$ or $-3a^2+2a+3 < 0$

As $a$ satisfies this cubic then

$-3a^2+2a+\dfrac{3}{2} = - \dfrac{1}{2a} - a + \dfrac{3}{2} < 0$ if $a > 1.$

The latter part can be established as follows: Let $f(a) =- \dfrac{1}{2a} - a + \dfrac{3}{2} $. Since $f(1) = 0$ and $f'(a) <0$ if $a>1$ then $f(a) < 0$ for $a>1$.

Re: solving for simultaneous equations

I'll take a stab at part (ii):

From the form of the given expressions, we may use an auxiliary equation of:

\(\displaystyle (r-a)(r-b)(r-c)=r^3-(a+b+c)r^2+(ab+ac+bc)r-abc=0\)

to determine the linear homogeneous recursion:

\(\displaystyle S_{n+3}=(a+b+c)S_{n+2}-(ab+ac+bc)S_{n+1}+abcS_{n}\)

where we are given:

\(\displaystyle S_1=1,\,S_2=2,\,S_3=3\)

If we square (1), we find:

\(\displaystyle (a^2+b^2+c^2)+2(ab+ac+bc)=1\)

Using (2), this becomes:

\(\displaystyle 2+2(ab+ac+bc)=1\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle ab+ac+bc=-\frac{1}{2}\)

If we cube (1), we find:

\(\displaystyle (a^3+b^3+c^3)+3(a+b+c)(ab+ac+bc)-3abc=1\)

Using (3) and our previous result, this becomes:

\(\displaystyle 3-\frac{3}{2}-3abc=1\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle abc=\frac{1}{6}\)

And so our recursion becomes:

\(\displaystyle S_{n+3}=S_{n+2}+\frac{1}{2}S_{n+1}+\frac{1}{6}S_{n}\)

With $n=1$, we then find:

\(\displaystyle a^4+b^4+c^4=S_4=3+\frac{1}{2}\cdot2+\frac{1}{6} \cdot1=\frac{25}{6}\)

Last edited:
For me, this is an ideal opportunity to use Newton's identities.

Let $x^3- px^2 +qx - r = 0$ be the equation whose roots are $a,\ b,\ c$, and let $S_k = a^k+b^k+c^k \ (k=1,2,3,4)$. Newton's identities say that
$\phantom{1}p = S_1 = 1$,
$2q = pS_1 - S_2 = 1-2 = -1$,
$3r = qS_1 - pS_2 + S_3 = -\frac12 -2 +3 = \frac12$,
$\phantom{1}0 = rS_1 - qS_2 + pS_3 - S_4$.​

Thus $p=1$, $q = -\frac12$, $r = \frac16$, and the cubic equation is $x^3 - x^2 - \frac12x - \frac16 = 0$. That is the same equation that Jester found for $a$, and as he pointed out it only has one real root. So $a,\ b,\ c$ cannot all be real.

Finally the last of those Newton's identities above shows that $S_4 = \frac16 + 1+ 3 = \frac{25}6$.

( i )using the result from MarkFL :

$a+b+c=1,\,\,ab+bc+ca=\dfrac {-1}{2},\,\, abc=\dfrac {1}{6}$

$(ab+bc+ca)^2=a^2b^2+b^2c^2+c^2a^2+2abc(a+b+c)=$$ \dfrac {1}{4}$

$\therefore a^2b^2+b^2c^2+c^2a^2=$$ \dfrac {1}{4} - 2abc(a+b+c)=\dfrac {1}{4} - \dfrac {1}{3}=\dfrac {-1}{12}<0$

This proves the first part :the simultaneous equationsno has no real solution

( ii )

$(2)^2:$$(a^2+b^2+c^2)^2=a^4+b^4+c^4+2(a^2b^2+b^2c^2+c^2a^2)=4$$\therefore a^4+b^4+c^4=4-2\times(\dfrac {-1}{12})=\dfrac {25}{6}$ #

Last edited:

Related to Solving for simultaneous equations

What is the definition of solving for simultaneous equations?

Solving for simultaneous equations involves finding the values of multiple variables in a system of equations that satisfy all of the equations at the same time.

Why is solving for simultaneous equations important?

Solving for simultaneous equations is important because it allows us to find the intersection points of multiple equations, which can be used to solve real-world problems and make predictions.

What are the different methods for solving simultaneous equations?

There are several methods for solving simultaneous equations, including substitution, elimination, graphing, and matrices. Each method may be more appropriate for different types of equations or situations.

What is the difference between consistent and inconsistent simultaneous equations?

Consistent simultaneous equations have a solution where all variables have unique values that satisfy all of the equations. Inconsistent simultaneous equations have no solution, meaning there is no set of values that satisfy all of the equations.

How do I know if a system of simultaneous equations has infinite solutions?

If the number of equations is less than the number of variables, then there are infinite solutions to the system of equations. This means that there are multiple sets of values that satisfy all of the equations.