Solving for Roots of a Cubic Equation Using Perturbation Theory

In summary: So, how do I approximate the solution?Assuming that you know the order of the coefficients of the trial solution, you can approximate it by generating a sequence of solutions that converges to the trial solution as \(w\) goes to zero.
Poirot1
Question: obtain 2-term expansions for the roots of x^3+x^2-w=0 , 0<w<<1.

I assumed an expansion of the form x=a+bw+... and from this obtained a=-1, b=1 as one solution. How do I work out the form of the other 2 expansions?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Poirot said:
Question: obtain 2-term expansions for the roots of x^3+x^2-w=0 , 0<w<<1.

I assumed an expansion of the form x=a+bw+... and from this obtained a=-1, b=1 as one solution. How do I work out the form of the other 2 expansions?

Thanks.

There are two roots near 0 and one root near 1, you have already dealt with than near 1. Then for the roots near 0 guess a trial solution: \(x=aw^k\) (which is a two term logarithmic expansion: \(\log(x)=A+B\log(w)\) ).

CB

Last edited:
sorry Captain Black, are you familiar with perturbation expansions? That is what I'm doing, I should have said the above solution as
x= -1+w+... as it is an infinite (perturbation) series. I want to know how to arrive at the correct asymptotic sequence.

Poirot said:
sorry Captain Black, are you familiar with perturbation expansions? That is what I'm doing, I should have said the above solution as
x= -1+w+... as it is an infinite (perturbation) series. I want to know how to arrive at the correct asymptotic sequence.

Sorry Poirot, are you familiar with singular perturbation expansions?

When you find the correct exponent for the trial solution you can use a perturbation expansion for \(a=a_0+a_1w^{k}+...\), where \(a_0\) is one or other of the two zeroth-order coefficients found using the trial solution.

CB

Last edited:
I take it you thought I was trying to be funny. Anyway, is there any way to arrive at the correct answer without just guessing?

Poirot said:
I take it you thought I was trying to be funny. Anyway, is there any way to arrive at the correct answer without just guessing?

It is not a guess. There can be no constant term since the root is going to zero as \(w\) goes to zero, so the simplest candidate is a multiple of some power of \(w\). Try the candidate , find the coefficient and exponent for an initial approximate solution and take it from there.

CB

Last edited:

Related to Solving for Roots of a Cubic Equation Using Perturbation Theory

1. What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical technique used to approximate solutions to complex problems that cannot be solved exactly. It involves breaking down the problem into simpler parts and then iteratively solving for these simplified solutions to get an approximate solution to the original problem.

2. What are the applications of perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory has a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering, such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and statistical mechanics. It is particularly useful for analyzing systems that involve small changes from a known solution.

3. How does perturbation theory work?

Perturbation theory works by introducing a small parameter into the equations of a problem, which represents the extent of the perturbation or disturbance. This parameter is used to expand the equations into a series of terms, and the solution can be approximated by truncating the series at a certain point.

4. What are the limitations of perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is most effective when the perturbation is small and the initial solution is known. It also assumes that the problem is linear, meaning that the perturbation does not significantly affect the original equations. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation decreases as the perturbation becomes larger.

5. How is perturbation theory different from numerical methods?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical approach to approximating solutions, while numerical methods involve using algorithms and computer programs to solve problems. Perturbation theory is often more efficient and accurate for small perturbations, while numerical methods can handle larger perturbations but may be computationally intensive.