Solving for Phi in Harmonic Motion Equation

In summary, a spring with a spring constant of 190 N/m and a hanging mass of 0.380 kg will vibrate with an amplitude of 8.0 cm when the mass passes through the equilibrium point at t = 0.100 s. The equation describing this motion is x = A*cos(omega*t + phi), with A = 8.0 cm and omega = 22.36. The value of phi can be determined using the fact that the mass is moving upwards at t = 0.100 s. There are multiple solutions for phi, so a specific one must be chosen.
lmf22
A spring with spring constant 190 N/m vibrates with an amplitude of 8.0 cm when 0.380 kg hangs from it.
What is the equation describing this motion as a function of time?
Assume the mass passes through the equilibrium point, toward positive x (upward), at t = 0.100 s.

x=A*cos(omega*t + phi)

I figured out that A is 8.0 cm, and omega is 22.36
but I can't figure out phi.

Here's what I did:
x=0 (because it's at equalibrium at .100 s)
Plug in numbers and get
0=A*cos(22.36*.100 + phi)
0/A = cos(22.36*.100 + phi)
arcosine(0) = 22.36*.100 + phi
phi = arcosine(0) - (22.36*.100)

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many solutios for [itex]\phi[/tex]. Perhaps you're looking for a particular one? Perhaps you should use the fact that the mass is moving upwards at time [itex]t=0.100[/tex]?

Last edited:
Ah! I got it! Thank you.

Related to Solving for Phi in Harmonic Motion Equation

1. What is the equation for harmonic motion?

The equation for harmonic motion is x(t) = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the position, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

2. How do you solve for phi in the harmonic motion equation?

To solve for phi, you need to know the values of x, A, and ω. Then, use the inverse sine function (sin^-1) to find the angle φ. The equation would be φ = sin^-1(x/A) - ωt.

3. What does the value of phi represent in the harmonic motion equation?

The value of phi represents the phase or starting point of the harmonic motion. It determines the position of the object at t = 0 and how it moves in relation to the equilibrium position.

4. Can phi have a negative value in the harmonic motion equation?

Yes, phi can have a negative value in the harmonic motion equation. This means that the object starts from a position below the equilibrium point and moves downward before moving upward.

5. How does changing the value of phi affect the motion in the harmonic motion equation?

Changing the value of phi affects the motion by changing the starting position and direction of the object's oscillations. A higher or lower value of phi can result in a phase shift or change in the amplitude of the motion.