Solving for Normal Force in Vertical Circular Motion Problem

In summary, the normal force acting upon a 76-kg pilot performing a loop de loop with his plane at the bottom of a 52-m radius loop, moving at 48 m/s, can be determined by using the equation FN = m(v^2/r) + mg. This results in a normal force of 4112.18 N. The key difference between the normal force at the top and bottom of the loop is the direction of the net force, as at the top of the loop it is pointing downwards while at the bottom it is pointing upwards.
Iser

Homework Statement

A 76-kg pilot at an air show performs a loop de loop with his plane. At the bottom of the 52-m radius loop, the plane is moving at 48 m/s. Determine the normal force acting upon the pilot.

Homework Equations

(ƩF)R = maR = m(v2/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram and I know I have to figure it out considering the position of the plane at the bottom of the plane. At the bottom of the plane FR and FN are pointing towards the center of the circle while Fg is pointing the opposite direction. Since the pilot has no movement in the y-direction we know:

FR + FN = Fg

After that I tried putting in the values I have but I got Fg's value was smaller than the total of FR + FN which does not make sense meaning I've made a mistake. I'm confused on how to tackle the problem after this part.

Physics news on Phys.org
Iser said:
FR + FN = Fg

After that I tried putting in the values I have but I got Fg's value was smaller than the total of FR + FN which does not make sense meaning I've made a mistake. I'm confused on how to tackle the problem after this part.
Only two forces act on the pilot: The upward normal force and the downward gravitational force. Their sum equals the net force, which in this case equals what you call FR.

Show what you got for FR, FN, and Fg.

FR is the resultant force, right? And I'm guessing you're taking FR, FN and Fg to be the absolute values. So the equation FR + FN = Fg is not quite right. Remember that the resultant force is not an extra force on its own. The resultant force is the force due to the sum of all other forces.

edit: whoops, Doc Al got there first.

Doc Al said:
Only two forces act on the pilot: The upward normal force and the downward gravitational force. Their sum equals the net force, which in this case equals what you call FR.

Show what you got for FR, FN, and Fg.

Oh, ok I sort of see what you're getting at.

So by doing Fnet = FN - Fg

Then we use algebra to make it:

Fnet + Fg = FN

Which is then:

m(v2/r) + mg = FN

I then sub in the values I got from the question arriving to the answer of:

FN = 4112.18 N

Am I on the right track?

Iser said:
Oh, ok I sort of see what you're getting at.

So by doing Fnet = FN - Fg

Then we use algebra to make it:

Fnet + Fg = FN

Which is then:

m(v2/r) + mg = FN

I then sub in the values I got from the question arriving to the answer of:

FN = 4112.18 N

Am I on the right track?
Exactly right. :thumbs:

(Now compare that to what the normal force would be at the top of the loop. What's the key difference?)

Related to Solving for Normal Force in Vertical Circular Motion Problem

1. What is vertical circular motion?

Vertical circular motion is the motion of an object in a circular path that is perpendicular to the ground. This means that the object is constantly changing direction and moving both vertically and horizontally.

2. What causes an object to undergo vertical circular motion?

An object undergoing vertical circular motion is typically subject to two forces: its weight and a centripetal force. The centripetal force is directed towards the center of the circular path and is responsible for keeping the object moving in a circular path.

3. How is centripetal force related to vertical circular motion?

Centripetal force is essential for maintaining an object's circular motion. Without it, the object would continue moving in a straight line tangent to the circular path. The centripetal force can be calculated using the equation Fc = mv^2/r, where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. What is the difference between vertical and horizontal circular motion?

Vertical circular motion occurs when an object is moving in a circular path that is perpendicular to the ground, while horizontal circular motion occurs when the object is moving in a circular path that is parallel to the ground. The forces acting on the object in each type of motion differ, as the centripetal force in vertical circular motion is directed towards the center of the circular path, while the centripetal force in horizontal circular motion is directed towards the ground.

5. How can vertical circular motion be applied in the real world?

Vertical circular motion is commonly seen in amusement park rides, such as roller coasters and Ferris wheels. It is also used in centrifuges, which are used to separate substances based on their density. Additionally, vertical circular motion is essential for the functioning of many machines, such as engines and turbines, which use circular motion to generate power.