Solving for net flux, given x- and y- components of electric field, E

In summary: This yields a net flux of 4.45 Nm2/C.In summary, the problem involves finding the net flux through a Gaussian surface in the shape of a cube with an edge length of 1.14 m. The net flux is found by using Gauss's Law and the electric flux equation, with the given electric field values. The solutions for parts A and B are 6.49 Nm2/C and 5.74 x 10^-11C, respectively. For part C, the non-constant component of the electric field must be taken into account, resulting in a net flux of 4.45 Nm2/C.
Lemon-Sam

Homework Statement

A Gaussian surface in the shape of a cube has edge length 1.14 m.

What are (a) the net flux through the surface and (b) the net charge (in C) enclosed by the surface if the electric field in the region is in the positive y direction and has a magnitude that is given by E = 4.38y N/C?

What is (c) the net flux if the electric field is in the xy plane and has components Ex = -3.42 N/C and Ey = (5.19 + 3.74y) N/C?

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law: ε0*net flux = q

Electric flux through a Gaussian surface: ∫E*dA

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already solved for the correct solutions for parts A and B:

Part A:

Area of the surface, A = (1.14m)2 = 1.2996 m2;

Thus, the net flux through the surface is (4.38)(1.14)(1.14)2 = 6.49 Nm2/C

Part B:

Then the charge, q, is ε0*net flux from part A:

(8.85 x 10^-12 C2/Nm2)(6.49 Nm2/C) = 5.74 x 10-11C

Part C: Here's where I ran into problems. Based on an example problem in my text, I reasoned that x-and y-components of E given in part C make up a constant field and thus don't affect the net flux. So, I'd end up with the same result as in Part A, but that's incorrect. I'm not sure how to go about solving the problem at this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
You wrote,

What is (c) the net flux if the electric field is in the xy plane and has components Ex = -3.42 N/C and Ey = (5.19 + 3.74y) N/C?

Ey is not constant, it changes with y? Ey = (5.19 + 3.74y) N/C

Yes, now I see where I went wrong with the problem. I have to take the non-constant part of Ey, 3.74y and solve for (c) in the same way that I solved part a.

Related to Solving for net flux, given x- and y- components of electric field, E

1. How do you calculate the net flux given x- and y- components of electric field?

To calculate the net flux, you first need to determine the individual flux values for each component of the electric field. This can be done by multiplying the component by the area it is acting upon and the cosine of the angle between the field and the normal of the area. Then, simply add the individual flux values together to find the net flux.

2. What units are used for the electric field components and the resulting net flux?

The units for the electric field components are Newtons per Coulomb (N/C). The units for net flux are Newton-meters squared per Coulomb (N*m^2/C).

3. What is the significance of finding the net flux in solving for electric fields?

The net flux is a measure of the total electric field passing through a given area. By calculating the net flux, we can determine the strength and direction of the electric field at a specific point.

4. Can the net flux be negative?

Yes, the net flux can be negative. This occurs when the electric field is directed in the opposite direction of the normal to the area it is acting upon. This indicates that the electric field is pointing away from the area instead of towards it.

5. How does the net flux relate to Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law states that the net flux through any closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space (ε0). In other words, the net flux is directly proportional to the enclosed charge and inversely proportional to the permittivity of free space.