Solving for Kelly and Her Brother's Ages Using a Riddle Equation

• Thread starter MrNeWBiE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Riddle
In summary, the problem involves finding the present age of Kelly and her brother, given that four years ago, Kelly was twice as old as her brother, and the product of their ages today is 160. Using two variables, K for Kelly and B for Brother, an equation can be written as (K-4) = 2(B-4) and KB = 160. However, the answer of 152/3 obtained by the attempt at a solution is incorrect.
MrNeWBiE
hi all ,,,,

Homework Statement

Four years ago, kelly was twice as old as her brother. Find the present age of kelly and
her brother if the product of their ages today is 160.

The Attempt at a Solution

well,, I tried with this method

2x+x=152 ,,,,, => ( 2x+4 ) + (x+4) = 160 ,,,, the answer I got was 152/3

my teacher told me , my answer is wrong

can anyone help me with making an equation ,,,,

Physics news on Phys.org
Try with two variables, say K for Kelly and B for Brother.

Try to write equation for

product of their ages today is 160.

thx a lot my brother ,,,, i didn't focus on product ,,,

Related to Solving for Kelly and Her Brother's Ages Using a Riddle Equation

What is an "Equation from a riddle"?

An "Equation from a riddle" is a type of mathematical riddle in which the answer is represented by a mathematical equation. It combines the challenge of solving a riddle with the use of mathematical skills.

How do you solve an "Equation from a riddle"?

Solving an "Equation from a riddle" requires a combination of critical thinking and mathematical skills. First, you must carefully read and analyze the riddle to understand the clues and the mathematical operations involved. Then, you can use algebraic principles to solve for the unknown variables and find the solution to the riddle.

What are the benefits of solving "Equation from a riddle"?

Solving "Equation from a riddle" can improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as enhance mathematical understanding and application. It can also be a fun and engaging way to challenge the mind and learn new concepts.

Where can I find "Equation from a riddle" examples?

There are many websites and books that offer "Equation from a riddle" examples and challenges. You can also create your own riddles and share them with friends or participate in competitions or online forums dedicated to this type of mathematical puzzle.

What is the difference between an "Equation from a riddle" and a regular math problem?

The main difference between an "Equation from a riddle" and a regular math problem is that the former presents a scenario or story with clues, while the latter is usually a straightforward question or exercise. "Equation from a riddle" also often involves creative thinking and outside-the-box approaches, while regular math problems usually have a more structured and standard solution approach.