Solving for initial velocity in an inelastic equation

In summary: And if so, could you tell me how to find it?Kinetic friction = only force applied = coefficient * force_normal = m*a. You also know that the change in velocity is related to acceleration through several of the kinetic equations, and they don't necessarily need time.The acceleration wouldn't be 3.626 m/s^2 by any chance, would it? And if so, could you tell me how to find it?
tjohn101

Homework Statement

A 920 kg sports car collides into the rear end of a 2300 kg SUV stopped at a red light. The bumpers lock, the brakes are locked, and the two cars skid forward 2.6 m before stopping. The police officer, knowing that the coefficient of kinetic friction between tires and road is 0.37, calculates the speed of the sports car at impact. What was that speed?

Homework Equations

[tex]
m_1\vec{v}_1 + m_2\vec{v}_2 = m_1\vec{v}_1 + m_2\vec{v}_2
[/tex]
[tex]
m_1\vec{v}_1 + m_2\vec{v}_2 = (m_1 + m_2)\vec{v}_{f}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done a dozen questions just like it but for some reason this one is stubborn. I have tried using the equations above but without any luck (I keep ending up with Vi1=0 for some reason), and I was wondering if someone could clarify whether the final velocities are equal to zero. I'm a little unsure on that part and knowing that will help tremendously.

Thank you guys!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The final speed referenced is actually the speed right after impact. Since the cars skid for 2.6m after collision, the final speed is nonzero. You can easily determine this value by finding the force applied to stop the crashed cars.

gamer_x_ said:
The final speed referenced is actually the speed right after impact. Since the cars skid for 2.6m after collision, the final speed is nonzero. You can easily determine this value by finding the force applied to stop the crashed cars.

I'm still having trouble... Every time I try to solve for Vf I come up with 1.

how did you calculate vf?

I've been using the momentum equation up top and the inelastic equation. I know there is another one but I can't remember it for anything.. :/

I've just been isolating Vf on one side. But every time I do the answer on both sides is always equal..

You don't know the initial velocity of the speeding car to use the momentum equation. You need to determine final velocity (immediately after impact) from the friction force applied to stop the crashed car and the distance that took.

gamer_x_ said:
You don't know the initial velocity of the speeding car to use the momentum equation. You need to determine final velocity (immediately after impact) from the friction force applied to stop the crashed car and the distance that took.

I know that much, but I'm unsure of how to do it

Find acceleration due to friction from Vf -> 0 after crash (F=ma). Then use kinematics formulas to get Vf from that.

gamer_x_ said:
Find acceleration due to friction from Vf -> 0 after crash (F=ma). Then use kinematics formulas to get Vf from that.

And how do I do that? I have no idea about how to solve any of this

kinetic friction = only force applied = coefficient * force_normal = m*a. You also know that the change in velocity is related to acceleration through several of the kinetic equations, and they don't necessarily need time.

The acceleration wouldn't be 3.626 m/s^2 by any chance, would it?

Related to Solving for initial velocity in an inelastic equation

1. How do I solve for initial velocity in an inelastic equation?

Solving for initial velocity in an inelastic equation involves using the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant before and after a collision. This means that the initial momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the final momentum after the collision. By setting up and solving the equation for momentum, you can find the initial velocity.

2. What is an inelastic equation?

An inelastic equation is used to calculate the final velocity of objects after a collision where kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that some of the energy is lost to other forms, such as heat or sound, during the collision.

3. What information do I need to solve for initial velocity in an inelastic equation?

To solve for initial velocity in an inelastic equation, you will need the masses of the objects involved in the collision, their final velocities, and the coefficient of restitution, which represents the ratio of the final velocity to the initial velocity.

4. Can I use any units when solving for initial velocity in an inelastic equation?

When solving for initial velocity in an inelastic equation, it is important to use consistent units throughout the equation. It is recommended to use standard units such as meters for distance and kilograms for mass to ensure accurate results.

5. Are there any limitations to using an inelastic equation to solve for initial velocity?

An inelastic equation assumes that all energy is conserved during a collision, which is not always the case in real-life situations. Additionally, it does not take into account external forces that may affect the final velocity. Therefore, it is important to use caution and consider the specific circumstances when using an inelastic equation to solve for initial velocity.