Solving for Electric Force Balance in a Suspended Sphere Setup"

In summary, the two spheres are in balance when their charges are equal and the tension in the rope is equal to the weight of the spheres.
Brothas
First of all, hey everyone.
I was wondering if any of you could help me solve this. I've tried but i keep getting insane equations so I might be doing something wrong.

Two equal spheres with a mass of m have equal charges q. They're suspended by two ropes with length L in points distanced d apart. Calculate the distance between the (centers) of the two spheres when this setup is in balance.
Picture: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/29642931/phys.png
What I've tried so far is:
The forces acting on the ball are the electric forces from the charges, the gravity and the tension frmo the rope. I figured the sum of these forces should be 0 for this setup to be balanced, which led me to: Fg + Fel+Frope with |Frope| = |Fg|/cos(θ) + |Fel|/sin(θ), but this is insanely hard to solve..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Brothas said:
The forces acting on the ball are the electric forces from the charges, the gravity and the tension frmo the rope. I figured the sum of these forces should be 0 for this setup to be balanced,
Good.
which led me to: Fg + Fel+Frope with |Frope| = |Fg|/cos(θ) + |Fel|/sin(θ),
I don't understand that last equation. What's the direction of the electric force?

The charges are equal, so the electrical forces act 'outwards', right?
I got that last equation by fiddling a bit, I'm not too sure how to find the rope tension force..

use the diagram to find the forces at equillibrium

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 380
Brothas said:
The charges are equal, so the electrical forces act 'outwards', right?
Right, which is horizontal.
I got that last equation by fiddling a bit, I'm not too sure how to find the rope tension force.
Redo it by considering horizontal and vertical components separately.

kushan said:
use the diagram to find the forces at equillibrium

Using this diagram, I get the conditions:
|Fel|= q²/(4π*ε*r²) = |T|sin(θ)
|Fg| = mg = |T|cos(θ)

And I'm stuck here: how do I find r (or θ?) from this?

Edit : Dividing top by bottom I get : tanθ = q²/(4π*ε*r²*m*g)
I can write r = d + 2Lsin(θ) -> r² = d²+4dLsinθ + 4L²sin²(θ)
If I denote q²/(4π*ε*m*g) = C (for my ease of writing mainly), I get:
C*cotθ = d²+4dLsinθ + 4L²sin²(θ), which I can then solve for θ (somehow)?

Last edited:
you can try to eliminate T , so that you are left with only one variable (θ)

I assume you are given θ and L, and must solve for d in terms of θ and L.

Doc Al said:
I assume you are given θ and L, and must solve for d in terms of θ and L.

What I assume is L,d,q and m are given. (d being the distance between the fixpoints of the two ropes). I then have to solve for the distance r between the centers of the spheres (which can be found by finding θ.)

Brothas said:
What I assume is L,d,q and m are given. (d being the distance between the fixpoints of the two ropes). I then have to solve for the distance r between the centers of the spheres (which can be found by finding θ.)
Ah, OK. Do you need to solve it analytically, or are you given values for those givens? (Which you can then plug into a smart calculator, which can solve for θ.)

Doc Al said:
Ah, OK. Do you need to solve it analytically, or are you given values for those givens? (Which you can then plug into a smart calculator, which can solve for θ.)

No values are given, so analytically I suppose. But I get the feeling this spits out a very ugly equation if I do it exactly..
So maybe the answer to this question just is "For a θ which satisfies this equation, the distance is given by r = d + 2Lsinθ"?

Or, maybe, if I assume θ is small, I can get a neat approximate solution?
Maybe something like: C*cotθ = (d+2Lsinθ)² ~ d² for small θ, so θ ~ arctan(C/d²) = arctan(q²/(4π*ε*m*g*d²))?

Related to Solving for Electric Force Balance in a Suspended Sphere Setup"

What is electric force?

Electric force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between electrically charged objects.

How is electric force calculated?

Electric force is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the unit of electric force?

The unit of electric force is the Newton (N), which is defined as the amount of force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.

Can electric force be attractive and repulsive?

Yes, electric force can be both attractive and repulsive depending on the charges of the objects. Like charges (positive-positive or negative-negative) repel each other, while opposite charges (positive-negative) attract each other.

How does electric force differ from gravitational force?

Electric force and gravitational force are both fundamental forces of nature, but they differ in several ways. Electric force only exists between charged objects, while gravitational force exists between any objects with mass. Electric force is much stronger than gravitational force, and it can be both attractive and repulsive, while gravity is always attractive.