Solving for $E(x)$ when X is a Fair Die Toss

• MHB
  • Thread starter dfraser
  • Start date
In summary, we can use the infinite series approach or the conditional probability approach to find the expected number of throws before getting a six. Both methods lead to the same result of E(x) = 5.
dfraser
I'm given that: X is the random variable for the number of times a fair die is tossed before a six appears, and asked for E(x).

I know the solution is 5 but am struggling to understand how I'm meant to get there. I understand:

$$E(x) = \sum_{x=0}^{\infty} x\cdot p(x)\ $$
$$= \sum_{x=0}^{\infty} x \cdot (1/6) \cdot (5/6)^x $$
$$= 5/6 \cdot 1/6 \cdot\sum_{x=1}^{\infty} x \cdot (5/6)^{x-1} $$

but am then given that:

$$= \frac{5/6 \cdot 1/6}{{(1-5/6)}^{2}} =5 $$

I recognize the numerator, and know the formula for the infinite sum of a geometric series is $$\frac{a}{1-r}$$ but I don't know how to get the denominator from the prior step or why it is squared. I think this is an easy mistake, but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone help me here?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
\[
\sum_{n=1}^\infty nx^{n-1}= \sum_{n=1}^\infty \left(x^n\right)' =\sum_{n=0}^\infty \left(x^n\right)' \overset{(*)}{=}\left(\sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n\right)' =\left(\frac{1}{1-x}\right)' =\frac{1}{(1-x)^2}.
\]
The equality (*) holds for $x$ in the interval of convergence of the right-hand side, i.e., for $|x|<1$.

dfraser said:
I'm given that: X is the random variable for the number of times a fair die is tossed before a six appears, and asked for E(x).

I know the solution is 5 but am struggling to understand how I'm meant to get there. I understand:

$$E(x) = \sum_{x=0}^{\infty} x\cdot p(x)\ $$
$$= \sum_{x=0}^{\infty} x \cdot (1/6) \cdot (5/6)^x $$
$$= 5/6 \cdot 1/6 \cdot\sum_{x=1}^{\infty} x \cdot (5/6)^{x-1} $$

but am then given that:

$$= \frac{5/6 \cdot 1/6}{{(1-5/6)}^{2}} =5 $$

I recognize the numerator, and know the formula for the infinite sum of a geometric series is $$\frac{a}{1-r}$$ but I don't know how to get the denominator from the prior step or why it is squared. I think this is an easy mistake, but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone help me here?

Hi dfraser! Welcome to MHB! :)Let's define:
$$f(y) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty ny^{n-1}$$
Then:
$$\int f(y) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty y^n + C_1 = \sum_{n=0}^\infty y^n + C_2 = \frac 1{1-y} + C_2$$
Taking the derivative, we get:
$$f(y) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty ny^{n-1} = \frac 1{(1-y)^2} \tag{1}$$When we apply $(1)$ to your formula, then:
$$E(x)
= \frac 56 \cdot \frac 16 \cdot\sum_{x=1}^{\infty} x \cdot \left(\frac{5}{6}\right)^{\!{x-1}}
= \frac 56 \cdot \frac 16 \cdot \frac 1 {(1 - \frac 56)^2}$$Edit: for some reason I completely missed Evgeny's response. Ah well.

The infinite series approach is fine, but here is another way for the sake of variety: condition on the result of the first throw. Let's say E is the expected number of throws before throwing a 6.

With probability 1/6, you will throw a 6 on the first throw. In this case the number of throws before a 6 is 0.

With probability 5/6, you throw something else (not a 6). You are now in the same state you were in before the first throw, but since you have taken one throw, the total number of throws expected before you get a 6 is E+1.

So $E = (1/6) \; 0 + (5/6) \;(E+1)$. Solve for E.

Thanks everyone, I understand now.

Related to Solving for $E(x)$ when X is a Fair Die Toss

What is the formula for calculating expected value for a fair die toss?

The formula for calculating expected value for a fair die toss is E(x) = (1/6)*(1+2+3+4+5+6) = 3.5, where x is the outcome of the die toss.

How is the expected value affected by the number of times the die is tossed?

The expected value remains the same regardless of the number of times the die is tossed. This is because the expected value is a measure of the average outcome, and as the number of tosses increases, the average outcome will approach the expected value.

Is the expected value the same for all possible outcomes of a fair die toss?

No, the expected value is not the same for all possible outcomes. For example, the expected value for rolling a 1 is 1/6, while the expected value for rolling a 6 is 6/6 = 1. However, the overall expected value for all possible outcomes is the same, which is 3.5.

What is the significance of the expected value in a fair die toss?

The expected value represents the most likely outcome of a fair die toss. It is a useful tool for predicting the average outcome and making decisions based on probabilities in a game or experiment involving a fair die.

Can the expected value be negative in a fair die toss?

No, the expected value cannot be negative in a fair die toss. This is because the die has an equal chance of landing on any number from 1 to 6, and the expected value is calculated by taking the sum of all possible outcomes multiplied by their respective probabilities.