Solving for Distance d Up Slope of 1/5

• Thread starter Lancelot59
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slope
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about determining the distance a particle travels up a constant slope. The individual provides a velocity vector and position function for the particle's path, but is unsure of how to solve for the distance. They suggest using a function for the slope and finding the intersection with the parabolic path. In the end, it is concluded that this method works and the individual is only off by 0.1 from the book's answer.
Lancelot59
I'm given that a particle launched at 30 degrees, and 40m/s from the horizontal axis travels a certain distance d up a constant slope of 1/5.

I need to determine how far up that slope the particle goes.

I got a velocity vector the obvious way:

[tex]\vec{v}=(40cos(30},40sin(30)-9.8t)[/tex]

Then integrating to get position:
[tex]\vec{r}=(40cos(30)t,40sin(30)t-9.8\frac{t^{2}}{2})[/tex]

I'm fairly certain I did this bit correctly. The issue I'm having here is that I don't know how to now solve for the arbitrary distance d that the particle travels up the hill.

I was thinking of writing a function for the slope, then seeing where it intersects the parabolic path.
I got [tex]y=\frac{1}{5}x[/tex] for the slope function. However this is in terms of position x and not time. I'm thinking I can use the x position from the parabolic path as the x parameter in the slope function and then solve the resulting equation. Does this make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Lancelot59! :wink:
Lancelot59 said:
… I'm thinking I can use the x position from the parabolic path as the x parameter in the slope function and then solve the resulting equation. Does this make sense?

Yes. :smile:

It worked! I was off of the book's answer by 0.1. Thanks.

Related to Solving for Distance d Up Slope of 1/5

1. How do I calculate the distance up a slope of 1/5?

To calculate the distance up a slope of 1/5, you will need to use the formula: d = h/1/5, where d represents the distance and h represents the height of the slope. This will give you the distance in units of measurement (e.g. meters or feet).

2. Can I use any units of measurement to solve for distance up a slope of 1/5?

Yes, you can use any units of measurement as long as you are consistent with your calculations. For example, if you measure the height of the slope in feet, you should also use feet as the unit for distance.

3. What if the slope has a different gradient?

If the slope has a different gradient, you will need to use a different formula to calculate the distance. For example, if the slope has a gradient of 1/4, the formula would be: d = h/1/4. Always make sure to use the correct formula for the specific slope gradient you are working with.

4. Is there a shortcut to solve for distance up a slope of 1/5?

Yes, there is a shortcut to solve for distance up a slope of 1/5. You can simply multiply the height of the slope by 5 to get the distance. This shortcut works because the slope gradient is 1/5, which is the same as multiplying by 5.

5. Can I use this formula to solve for distance on any slope?

No, this formula is specifically for calculating distance on a slope with a gradient of 1/5. If you want to calculate the distance on a slope with a different gradient, you will need to use a different formula. Also, keep in mind that this formula assumes the slope is a straight line. If the slope is curved or has varying gradients, the formula will not give an accurate result.