Solving for Density: Buoyant Force & Force of Gravity

In summary, you need to find the mass of the object, then use the buoyant force of a floating object to find the density of the board.
Avalanche

Homework Statement

paddleboard_zpsfa095069.jpg

Homework Equations

density = mass/volume
FB = rhoo vog for a floating object
F = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Buoyant force = force of gravity due to the board
rhoo vo = m

vo = area*height submerged
vo = 2.4*.05
vo = 0.12 m^3

volume of the board = thickness*area
= 0.15*2.4
= 0.36 m^3

To find the density of the board, I need to know the mass of the board. I tried using the buoyant force of a floating object, but I need the density of the object.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a body to be afloat, the mass of water displaced by its submerged part must be equal to the mass of the entire body. Which you have derived in the form rhoo vo = m. What else do you need to compute the density?

I need the mass of the object. How do I find that?

Is rhoo equal to the density of water?

I think I may understand where you are confused. You can calculate how much mass is displaced, but you need to consider the full geometry of the board to find its average density.

Last edited:
Avalanche said:

What else could that be? See #2 above.

Avalanche said:
I need the mass of the object. How do I find that?

You should always start with intuition. Would the plank be floating if its density were equal to that of water?

Does styrofoam float on water? Is it more or less dense than water?

voko said:
For a body to be afloat, the mass of water displaced by its submerged part must be equal to the mass of the entire body. Which you have derived in the form rhoo vo = m. What else do you need to compute the density?

So the mass of the board= density of water*volume of water displaced
Because the object is floating, the volume of the water displaced is equal to the volume of the submerged part.
so volume of water displaced = vo = 0.12 m^3

= 1000*0.12
=120 kg

density of boat = m/v

=120/0.36
= 333.3 kg/m^3

Is my thinking correct?

Avalanche said:
Is my thinking correct?

Does the solution seem reasonable? How could you check?

Here's a hint. :-)

Related to Solving for Density: Buoyant Force & Force of Gravity

What is density?

Density is a measure of how much matter is packed into a given space. It is commonly expressed as mass per unit volume.

What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully submerged in the fluid. It is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

What is the force of gravity?

The force of gravity is the mutual attraction between two objects with mass. It is responsible for the weight of objects on Earth and is described by Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation.

How do you solve for density?

To solve for density, you need to know the mass and volume of the object. You can then divide the mass by the volume to find the density. The equation for density is D=m/v, where D is density, m is mass, and v is volume.

How do buoyant force and force of gravity affect an object's buoyancy?

If the buoyant force is greater than the force of gravity, the object will float. If the buoyant force is less than the force of gravity, the object will sink. When the two forces are equal, the object will be suspended in the fluid at a stable depth.