Solving for current between 2 nodes

In summary, the conversation is about using the superposition principle to determine the current between B and D in a circuit with given values for current, voltage, and resistance. The solution involves using voltage and current dividers, as well as KCL and KVL. The final answer should be given with 2 significant figures.
grekin

Homework Statement

Assume that I = 22mA , V = 6.0V , and R = 350Ω. Determine the current between B and D using the superposition principle.

Steif.ch03.p33.jpg

Homework Equations

V=IR
Superposition Principle
G=1/R
Voltage and Current dividers
KCL, KVL

The Attempt at a Solution

I_BD = I_BD' + I_BD''

Shorting the voltage source first, I have:

R_eq of resistors now in parallel = 100*300/(100+300) = 75

Applying the current divider to the remaining circuit, I have:

I_BD'' = -0.022 * 300/825 = -0.008

(I also solved this using mesh analysis and got the same answer)

Now replacing the current source with an open circuit, I have:

R_eq from A to C to D to B = 750

ZR1VmsJ.png

Combining that with the 300 Ohm resistor it is now in parallel with, then with the 100 Ohm resistor in series, I have:

R_eq = 314.3

Solving for total current with V=IR, I_total = 0.019 A

Applying the current divider:

I_BD' = 0.019*300/1050 = 0.0054 A

Combining I_BD' and I_BD'', I_BD = -0.0026 A which is incorrect. Not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably the current IBD is meant to refer to the current from B to D. If so, check the assumptions you're making about the direction of current flow for each case.

I think I see my mistake, but I just want to be sure before putting in an answer because I'm on my last attempt. I believe I mixed up the sign with the current source removed, so it should be -0.0054 A and the total I_BD should be -0.0134. Does this sound correct?

grekin said:
I think I see my mistake, but I just want to be sure before putting in an answer because I'm on my last attempt. I believe I mixed up the sign with the current source removed, so it should be -0.0054 A and the total I_BD should be -0.0134. Does this sound correct?

Your new current for when the current source is suppressed looks good. But also check the sign for the case where the voltage supply is suppressed. What direction will the current BD flow then?

gneill said:
Your new current for when the current source is suppressed looks good. But also check the sign for the case where the voltage supply is suppressed. What direction will the current BD flow then?

So I guess both my signs were mixed up then, which sounds right but my problem with that is it gives me 0.0026 A for I_BD, which I had put in earlier and it said I was wrong.

grekin said:
So I guess both my signs were mixed up then, which sounds right but my problem with that is it gives me 0.0026 A for I_BD, which I had put in earlier and it said I was wrong.

So you've got:
When I source is suppressed: -5.45 mA
When V source is suppressed: 8.00 mA

making the sum IBD = 2.54 mA

Your system may require that your answer have a certain number of significant digits and particular units. How exactly do they want the input to be given?

Likes 1 person
It specifically asks for 2 significant figures. I could try 0.0025 A but I'm not sure if it'll make a difference, usually it accepts the answer if you're only a tad off.

4LhztZB.png

I'll probably end up talking to my professor about it tomorrow, because this seems like the correct answer.

EDIT: I took the risk and put in 0.0025 A, which is indeed correct. Thanks for your help.

Well, 0.0026 is not the quite the same thing as 0.0025. 2.54 mA doesn't round to 2.6 mA.

Related to Solving for current between 2 nodes

1. What is the purpose of solving for current between 2 nodes?

The purpose of solving for current between 2 nodes is to determine the flow of electrical current between two points in a circuit. This information is important in understanding the behavior of the circuit and can help in troubleshooting and designing more efficient circuits.

2. How do you calculate the current between 2 nodes?

The current between 2 nodes can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R) between the two nodes, or I = V/R. This calculation assumes that the circuit is in a steady state and that the voltage and resistance are known.

3. Can you solve for current between 2 nodes in a parallel circuit?

Yes, the same principles and equations can be used to solve for current between 2 nodes in a parallel circuit. However, the calculations may be more complex as the current will split and flow through multiple branches in the circuit.

4. What factors can affect the current between 2 nodes?

The current between 2 nodes can be affected by the voltage difference between the nodes, the resistance of the circuit, and the presence of any other components such as resistors, capacitors, or inductors. The type and material of the conductors used can also impact the flow of current.

5. How can solving for current between 2 nodes be useful in real-world applications?

Solving for current between 2 nodes is essential in understanding the behavior of electrical circuits, which are used in countless real-world applications such as powering electronic devices, lighting buildings, and transmitting electricity over long distances. This information can also help in designing and optimizing circuits for efficiency and safety.