Solving for Cosine & Sine Sum/Difference of Two Angles: Confusing?

In summary: I have heard great things about it.In summary, trig identities can be useful in other ways than just simple calculation. Linear algebra is a little way off for the beginner, but it is something to aim for.
Miike012
I have yet to see or understand the benefit of knowing the cosine and sine sum and difference of two angles identity... can someone please explain why you would want to break up one angle into two angles... then solve from there... does not make sense to me... just use a calculator.

Physics news on Phys.org
Deriving the rotation matricies.

You'll find that many of the trig identities are mathematically useful in ways beyond simple calculation.

Because as I was looking at the the identity and the proof.. I noticed that only one of the two angles were one of the "special angles" given on the unit circle... you can solve for the two angles without using the idenetity... so for me it just seems useless...
for instance... let's say we have two angles 30 and 45... you could either use the identity or just straight out solve for it...
not let's say we have two angles 1 and 45... you can not solve for this using the sum of two angles identity... HOWEVER you can solve this using algebra... and law of sines...

Sorry... I ment to say you can't solve without a calc unless u know what sin or cos of angle 1 deg. is... and sorry... as I was looking at it,... you can not solve algebraically by useing law of sines.. if u don't know what sin or cos of angle one is either... so both methods in my mind seem equal.. however the identity might be a tad quicker... but if your looking for quickness just use a calc...

For the sum/difference, formulas, as blather stated, they can be used to derive the rotational matrix in Euclidean space: http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/DerivationOfRotationMatrixUsingPolarCoordinates.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright.. well I have no idea what that is.. I am only in trig... when will I get there?

Linear algebra, it's a little ways off for you then.

When you take calc, for another example, you'll find that [tex]\cos^2(\theta) = \frac{1+\cos(2\theta)}{2}[/tex] is useful for integrals. (You can't integrate cos^2 or sin^2, but you can transfrom them inot something linear and then solve it.)

Trig seems pointless when you just calculate the angles like that, but it's actually extremely useful.

Lol yes I have some time before I take that class. lol

Miike012, don't think that your classes are holding you back. If you'd like to poke around in a library, then check out a calculus book, muddle through that for a bit, and then get a book called:

Basic Complex Analysis
by Marsden

This book shows a lot of cool things about trig identities in one of the first two chapters. You are always free to go faster than your education.

Thank you for the advise blather... I will also check out the book...

Related to Solving for Cosine & Sine Sum/Difference of Two Angles: Confusing?

What is the difference between cosine and sine?

Cosine and sine are trigonometric functions that are used to calculate the relationship between the sides and angles of a right triangle. The main difference between cosine and sine is that cosine calculates the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, while sine calculates the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse.

What is the sum of two cosine angles?

The sum of two cosine angles can be calculated using the formula cos(a+b) = cos(a)cos(b) - sin(a)sin(b). This formula is known as the cosine sum formula and is used to find the cosine of the sum of two angles.

What is the difference of two sine angles?

The difference of two sine angles can be calculated using the formula sin(a-b) = sin(a)cos(b) - cos(a)sin(b). This formula is known as the sine difference formula and is used to find the sine of the difference of two angles.

What is the purpose of solving for the sum/difference of two angles?

Solving for the sum/difference of two angles is important in trigonometry as it allows us to find the value of a trigonometric function for an angle that is not easily calculable. It also helps in solving complex trigonometric equations and in further applications of trigonometry in fields such as engineering and physics.

How can I remember the formulas for solving cosine and sine sum/difference of two angles?

One way to remember the formulas for solving cosine and sine sum/difference of two angles is by creating mnemonic devices. For example, to remember the cosine sum formula, you can use the phrase "causes chaos" where "c" stands for cosine, "a" stands for addition, and "c" and "s" stand for cosine and sine respectively. You can also practice using the formulas frequently to help with memorization.