Solving for Car's Acceleration, Time, and Average Speed

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the acceleration, time, and average speed of a car that starts at rest and accelerates over a distance of 1250m to reach a final speed of 112 km/h. The solution is derived using the equations of motion and the resulting values are 0.77 m/s^2 for acceleration, 40.18 seconds for the time, and 25.6 km/h for the average speed. The discrepancy between two methods of calculating acceleration is also addressed.
Goopy17

Homework Statement

A car is initial at rest. It accelerates over a distance of 1250m and reaches a speed of 112 km/h. Find: A) the acceleration for the car B) the time it took for it to reach this final speed C) the average speed

Homework Equations

A = delta V/ delta T or v^2 = V (initial)^2 + 2a (d -d(initial))
d = d(initial) + vt

The Attempt at a Solution

1250 = 0 + 31.1(t)
t = 40.18

A = 31.1/40.18
A = .77 m/s^2

BUT here is the problem

if i use v^2 = V (initial)^2 + 2a (d -d(initial))
31.1^2 = 0^2 + 2a(1250)
A = .387 m/s^2
that is half of the first one?

that is where i need help
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Goopy17 said:
if i use v^2 = V (initial)^2 + 2a (d -d(initial))
31.1^2 = 0^2 + 2a(1250)
A = .387 m/s^2
that is half of the first one?

Your solution for the acceleration in this section is correct.

Goopy17 said:
1250 = 0 + 31.1(t)
t = 40.18

A = 31.1/40.18
A = .77 m/s^2

No.
Remember, the car is accelerating over this distance. It travels the 1250 meters before it reaches it's final speed.

Do you have the other equations of motion there? Which of them can you use that uses time and acceleration to compute a distance?

Not sure. Can you please explain?

Related to Solving for Car's Acceleration, Time, and Average Speed

1. What is the formula for calculating a car's acceleration?

The formula for calculating acceleration is final velocity (vf) minus initial velocity (vi) divided by time (t), or a = (vf - vi)/t.

2. How do you find the time it takes for a car to accelerate?

The time it takes for a car to accelerate can be found by dividing the change in velocity (vf - vi) by the acceleration (a), or t = (vf - vi)/a.

3. What is the formula for calculating average speed?

The formula for calculating average speed is total distance traveled (d) divided by total time taken (t), or v = d/t.

4. Can you determine a car's acceleration if you only know its average speed and time?

No, knowing just the average speed and time does not provide enough information to calculate acceleration. Additional information, such as the initial and final velocities, is needed.

5. How can I use these calculations to improve my car's performance?

By using these calculations, you can track your car's acceleration, time, and average speed to identify areas for improvement. You can also use the formulas to make adjustments and measure the impact on your car's performance.