Solving for c: Speed of Q2 in Q1 Reference Frame

In summary, the problem statement asks for the speed of Q2 relative to Q1 in a stellar system where both are moving away from us at different speeds. The relevant equations are attached. The first attempt at solving the problem used a given formula, but the answer was incorrect. The second attempt suggests using classical velocity addition to arrive at the correct answer.
Pochen Liu
Homework Statement
Stellar system Q1 moves away from us at a speed of 0.860c. Stellar system Q2, which lies in the same direction in space but is closer to us, is moving away from us at a speed 0.560c. What multiple of c gives the speed of Q2 as measured by an observer in the reference frame of Q1?
Relevant Equations
*attached
I've tried using this equation:

Where:
u' = 0.86c
v = 0.3c
u = Is the speed of Q2 as measured by an observer in the reference frame of Q1 = 0.922c

Where have I gone wrong? Have I missed a negative symbol?

Physics news on Phys.org
Before plugging the numbers in, make sure you understand the variables in velocity addition formula.

If you have an observer ##A##, a second observer ##B##, and an object ##C##, then let:

• ##v_{BA}## = the velocity of ##B## as measured by ##A##.
  • ##v_{CB}## = the velocity of ##C## as measured by ##B##.
  • ##v_{CA}## = the velocity of ##C## as measured by ##A##.
If all three velocities are in a straight line, then according to relativity,

##v_{CA} = \dfrac{v_{BA} + v_{CB}}{1+ \frac{v_{BA} v_{CB}}{c^2}}##

In your case, the three objects are:
  1. You = ##A##
  2. Q1 = ##B##
  3. Q2 = ##C##

In this case, what they are asking is not ##v_{AC}##. They tell you that that is equal to ##0.860c##. They are asking for ##v_{BC}##.

So you have two options, that work the same:
  • Write down the formula for ##v_{CA}, v_{BA}, v_{CB}## and solve, algebraically for ##v_{CB}## in terms of the other two, or
  • Switch the labels around. Let ##A## be Q1, ##B## be you, and ##C## be Q2.
If you do the second one, you have to remember that if Q1 is moving at 0.860c relative to you, then you are moving at -0.850c relative to Q1.

Pochen Liu said:
Problem Statement: Stellar system Q1 moves away from us at a speed of 0.860c. Stellar system Q2, which lies in the same direction in space but is closer to us, is moving away from us at a speed 0.560c. What multiple of c gives the speed of Q2 as measured by an observer in the reference frame of Q1?
Relevant Equations: *attached

I've tried using this equation:

View attachment 243343
Where:
u' = 0.86c
v = 0.3c
u = Is the speed of Q2 as measured by an observer in the reference frame of Q1 = 0.922c

Where have I gone wrong? Have I missed a negative symbol?
Try the calculation using the classical velocity addition and see what you get.

Likes Pochen Liu

Related to Solving for c: Speed of Q2 in Q1 Reference Frame

1. What is the formula for solving for c?

The formula for solving for c is c = Q2/Q1, where c represents the speed of Q2 in the reference frame of Q1.

2. How do you determine the reference frame in this equation?

The reference frame is determined by the observer's perspective. In this case, Q1 is the observer and Q2 is the object being observed.

3. Can you solve for c if the reference frame is not given?

No, the reference frame is necessary in order to solve for c in this equation. Without the reference frame, there is no way to determine the relative speed between Q1 and Q2.

4. What units should be used for c?

The units for c will depend on the units used for Q1 and Q2. For example, if Q1 is measured in meters per second and Q2 is measured in meters per second, then c will also be measured in meters per second.

5. How can this equation be applied in real-life situations?

This equation can be applied in many real-life situations, such as calculating the speed of a moving object relative to a stationary observer, or determining the relative speeds of two objects moving in the same direction. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze motion and velocities.