Solving for applied force to push an object up a ramp.

In summary: Multiply 98 N by cos (22.02) and add to zero .We get F= 904.77 N.In summary, to push a 100kg box onto a table using an inclined plane 1.5 m high and 4 m long, an applied force of 904.77 N is required if the plane offers a frictional force equivalent to 10% of the weight of the box. This can be calculated using the summation of forces in the horizontal direction equation, taking into account the friction and gravitational force components.
agentnnc
A box, mass 100kg, must be pushed onto a table using an inclined plane 1.5 m high. The plane is 4 m long. If the pleane offers a frictional force equivalent to 10% the weight of the box, what force must be applied to move the box?

What I tried:
sin^-1(4/1.5) = 22.6
100 * 9.8 = 980 N (fgrav)
980cos22.6=904.77N (Fperpendicular)
Ffrict=10%980=98N

That's where I get stuck. I'm not sure if I'm even doing it right (However, I know the angle is).

Please help. My exam is tomorrow.

Physics news on Phys.org
agentnnc said:
A box, mass 100kg, must be pushed onto a table using an inclined plane 1.5 m high. The plane is 4 m long. If the pleane offers a frictional force equivalent to 10% the weight of the box, what force must be applied to move the box?

What I tried:
sin^-1(4/1.5) = 22.6
100 * 9.8 = 980 N (fgrav)
980cos22.6=904.77N (Fperpendicular)
Ffrict=10%980=98N

That's where I get stuck. I'm not sure if I'm even doing it right (However, I know the angle is).

Please help. My exam is tomorrow.

angle (theta)=sin^-1(1.5/4)=22.02 deg. (You take sin^-1 (4/1.5))

Use summation F(x)=0
friction and mg sin (theta) direction is downward . Applied force dirction is upward.Yes your friction is 98 N. No need to consider Y direction here.

Related to Solving for applied force to push an object up a ramp.

1. How do I calculate the applied force needed to push an object up a ramp?

To calculate the applied force, you will need to use the formula F = mgsinθ, where F is the applied force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the ramp.

2. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity, denoted by g, is a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²) on Earth. This value is used in the formula to calculate the applied force for an object on a ramp.

3. How do I determine the angle of the ramp?

The angle of the ramp can be measured using a protractor or calculated using the formula θ = tan⁻¹(h/l), where θ is the angle, h is the height of the ramp, and l is the length of the ramp.

4. Can I use the same formula for objects of different masses?

Yes, the formula F = mgsinθ can be used for objects of different masses as long as the other variables, such as the angle of the ramp and the acceleration due to gravity, remain constant.

5. Is there a minimum or maximum angle for the ramp?

Yes, there is a minimum and maximum angle for the ramp to ensure that the object can be pushed up successfully. The minimum angle is 0°, which means the ramp is flat, and the maximum angle is 90°, which means the ramp is perpendicular to the ground. Any angle between these two values can be used, but it is recommended to stay within a range of 20° to 40° for practical purposes.