Solving for Angular momentum without mass

In summary, the conversation discusses a Lagrangian problem involving a vertical cone with a bead rolling around it. The goal is to write a program to solve the Lagrangian numerically. The diagram and variables are provided, and the equations for solving the Lagrangian are given. The conversation also addresses the use of angular momentum and the effect of mass on the equations of motion.
thestrangequark

Homework Statement

The problem is a Lagrangian problem that solves for a differential equation. I need to write a program to solve the Lagrangian numerically. My professor said you do not need mass for the program, but I'm not sure how. The problem is a vertical cone with a bead rolling around the cone. I drew it:
http://puu.sh/d4sN4/37c910ca4f.png
In the diagram, θ is the angle displacement of the bead. Here is a vertical view to show θ.
http://puu.sh/d4t13/e7de35cb2e.png
the variables are r and θ. x_0, dx/dt, dy/dt are all given. α=45 degrees. Assume θ_0 =0, implying y_0=0

Homework Equations

Solving for the Lagrangian gives:
d^2r/dt^2 =(L^2*sin^2α)/(m^2*r^3)-gsinα*cosα
d/dt(mr^2*dθ/dt)=0 showing angular momentum is conserved.

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it as simple as plugging L=mr^2*dθ/dt into the differential equation for r''? This would cancel out the masses in that equation, but I feel like that is too simple and I am missing something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you're using L for angular momentum, which is a bad idea when you also have a Lagrangian L.

L = T - U, right? Is T proportional to mass? Is U? If the answer to both is yes, what effect will there be on the equations of motion?

Related to Solving for Angular momentum without mass

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a property of a rotating object that measures its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia of an object by its angular velocity.

2. Why is mass not included in the formula for angular momentum?

Mass is not included in the formula for angular momentum because it is already factored into the moment of inertia term. The moment of inertia takes into account the distribution of mass and its distance from the axis of rotation.

3. How do you solve for angular momentum without knowing the mass?

If the mass of an object is not known, the moment of inertia can still be calculated using the dimensions and shape of the object. Once the moment of inertia is determined, it can be multiplied by the angular velocity to find the angular momentum.

4. Can angular momentum be negative?

Yes, angular momentum can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the axis of rotation is in the opposite direction of the angular velocity. However, in most cases, angular momentum is considered to be positive.

5. What are the units for angular momentum?

The SI unit for angular momentum is kilogram meters squared per second (kg·m^2/s). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as joule seconds (J·s) or pound feet squared per second (lb·ft^2/s).