Solving for Angle at Which a Girl Swims Across a River with Given Velocities

• Thread starter kalupahana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Direction
In summary, the question is asking at what angle must a girl swim in a river with a velocity of u and a river with a velocity of v to reach a point directly opposite on the other bank of the river, given that she can swim 100m perpendicular to the water current and reaches a point 50m down the stream. This can be solved by using the ratio of her speed and the speed of the current, and drawing a second triangle to find the angle she must swim upstream.
kalupahana

Homework Statement

A girl swim one bank of a river with 100m when she swims perpendicular to the water current. She reaches the other bank 50m down the stream. The angle at which she should swim ti reach a point directly opposite on the other bank of the river is?
(Velocity of girl=u, velocity of river=v)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a problem, please tell why the question give the velocities to find the angle.
It can easily taken by applying tan value to the displacements.

then it can be gain as
tanα = 50/100 = 1/2
α = tan-(1/2)

Please tell me is this right

Physics news on Phys.org
hi kalupahana! :wink:

no, you're misunderstanding the question

first she swims directly across, but the current makes her go at an angle which (as you say) is tan-1(1/2)

ok, so that means that the ratio of her speed and the speed of the current is … ?

now use that ratio to find the angle she must swim upstream to land exactly opposite :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi kalupahana! :wink:

no, you're misunderstanding the question

first she swims directly across, but the current makes her go at an angle which (as you say) is tan-1(1/2)

ok, so that means that the ratio of her speed and the speed of the current is … ?

now use that ratio to find the angle she must swim upstream to land exactly opposite :smile:
Then it come as

1/2 = u/v
v/2u = tanα
α = tan-1(v/2u)

is it come like this

It's a good question, and I think tiny tim is right and kalupahana is not (yet). I don't know how you people can solve these problems without drawing vector addition triangles.

hi pongo38! :smile:

yup, kalupahana, you should have drawn a second triangle by now …

you seem to be still on the first one.

what does your second triangle look like? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi pongo38! :smile:

yup, kalupahana, you should have drawn a second triangle by now …

you seem to be still on the first one.

what does your second triangle look like? :smile:

To horizontal 4km/h. VRG is constant. Therefore The VRG of both triangles are equal.
VRM is 60o inclined downwards from VMG to opposite direction.

tan60o = x/4
4√3 = VRG
cos60 = 4/y
1/2 = VRM
Now its okay?

hi kalupahana! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

i think you've got it, but I'm finding it difficult to understand what you've written :confused:

you should have got an equilateral triangle … did you?

tiny-tim said:
hi kalupahana! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

i think you've got it, but I'm finding it difficult to understand what you've written :confused:

you should have got an equilateral triangle … did you?

:eek:

oh, sorry tiny tim, i posted two posts at one time. When I check them, I reply a 2nd questions tags in here.

okk, i can understand it

thnx a lot

Related to Solving for Angle at Which a Girl Swims Across a River with Given Velocities

1. What is the purpose of solving for the angle at which a girl swims across a river with given velocities?

The purpose of solving for the angle at which a girl swims across a river with given velocities is to determine the most efficient direction for the girl to swim in order to cross the river in the shortest amount of time.

2. What factors are involved in solving for the angle at which a girl swims across a river?

The factors involved in solving for the angle at which a girl swims across a river include the velocity of the river's current, the girl's swimming speed, and the distance of the river to be crossed.

3. How is the angle at which a girl swims across a river calculated?

The angle at which a girl swims across a river can be calculated using trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, along with the given velocities and distance of the river.

4. Can the angle at which a girl swims across a river vary depending on the given velocities?

Yes, the angle at which a girl swims across a river can vary depending on the given velocities. A higher velocity of the river's current or a slower swimming speed can result in a different optimal angle for the girl to swim towards.

5. How does solving for the angle at which a girl swims across a river benefit us?

Solving for the angle at which a girl swims across a river can benefit us by providing a mathematical solution for the most efficient way to cross the river. This can be applied in real-life scenarios, such as in water rescue situations, or for athletes looking to improve their swimming performance.