Solving for all values of x including imaginary numbers

In summary, to solve for all values of x including imaginary numbers, you can use the quadratic formula or apply the rules of complex numbers. The quadratic formula is used to find the solutions for a quadratic equation, while complex numbers are numbers expressed in the form a + bi. To solve equations involving complex numbers, you need to apply the rules of complex numbers, such as multiplying by the complex conjugate. Imaginary numbers are used to represent solutions that do not have a real value, while real solutions are those that have a value on the real number line. Both real and imaginary solutions can be valid solutions when solving equations.
shemer77

Homework Statement

Solve for all values of x both real and imaginary
1) x^3=-8
2)(3/x+1)+(x/x-1)=(x-5/(x+1)(x-1))
3)2x^3-8x^2+5x=0
4)x^4-7x^2+12=0
5)x - sqroot ( 6 - 5x ) = 0
6)(absvalue(3x)) + 6 = 10

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried all of them but came out with wonky answers or I got stuck,
Please help me, DONT GIVE ME THE ANSWERS, show me how to do them, or guide me :)

Physics news on Phys.org
1) You want to get rid of the exponent 3. What can you do to both sides of the equation to make this happen?

2) Do you mean x/x - 1 = 1 - 1 = 0 or x/(x - 1)?

3) Every term on the left side has something in common: a factor.

4) Notice that [tex](x^2)^2 = x^4[/tex], so it is a quadratic.

5) Remember that you can't take the square root of a negative number, so make sure all your answers agree with this fact.

6) |3x| is 3x if 3x is positive, and -3x if 3x is negative. Consider both cases.

1) All i get is 2i, and -2, but there should be one more answer since its x^3
2)its 3 over x+1 plus x over x-1 equals x-5 over (x+1)(x-1)
3)I got x(x-1)(2x-5) so my answers were x,1,5/2
4)I did quad formula and i got 4, and 3 as my answers
5)i got -6 and 1
6)im not sure on how to do this one still

Sorry, I forgot you wanted imaginary values as well, so ignore some of what I said earlier.

3) x cannot be an answer, as you want to find x.

4) Those are roots for [tex]x^2[/tex], not x.

1) 2i is wrong because [tex](2i)^3 = 8i^3 = -8i[/tex]. Writing [tex]-8 = 8e^{i \pi}[/tex], the three roots are [tex]2e^{i \pi/3}, 2e^{i 3\pi/3}, 2e^{i 5\pi/3}[/tex]. Are you familiar with this notation? If not, you can write [tex]x^3 + 8 = 0[/tex] and factor that as a difference of cubes.

2) The common denominator on the left side is the denominator on the right side, so combine the two terms on the left.

5) That seems right.

6) 4 = |3x| = 3|x|. |x| = 4/3 represents a circle in the complex plane.

1) I did difference of cubes and got (x-2)(x^2+2x+4) then i did quadratic for that second part and got -2[tex]\pm2i\sqrt{3}[/tex] all over 2. so what would my answers be?
2)I made the denominators the same across the whole equation so i got 3x-3+x^2+x=x-5 and i condensed that to, x^2-3x+2=0 and i factored it to (x-2)(x-1) so my answers are 2 and 1 right?
3)so are my answers 1 and 5/2?
4)I don't know what to do, since i can't factor or use quad formula
5) yay
6)so would my answer be -4/3 and 4/3?

1) Expanding (x - 2)(x^2 + 2x + 4) gives x^3 - 8, which is not x^3 + 8. Check your answers by seeing that their cubes are -8.

2) 1 cannot be an answer because x - 1 is in the denominators, and you can't divide by 0.

3) The biggest power of x is x^3, so like you said before there are 3 roots. When you have a product of 3 factors = 0, consider the case where each factor = 0. In the question, should the 8 be a 7?

4) x^2 = 4 or x^2 = 3. These are like the first question.

6) There are infinitely more answers if you want imaginary values as well.

Related to Solving for all values of x including imaginary numbers

1. How do you solve for all values of x including imaginary numbers?

To solve for all values of x including imaginary numbers, you can use the quadratic formula or apply the rules of complex numbers. This involves identifying the coefficients of the variables and using the formula or rules to find the solutions.

2. What is the quadratic formula and how is it used to solve for x?

The quadratic formula is used to find the solutions for a quadratic equation in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0. It is written as x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. By substituting the values for a, b, and c from the given equation, you can solve for the two possible values of x.

3. What are complex numbers and how do you solve equations involving them?

Complex numbers are numbers that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1). To solve equations involving complex numbers, you need to apply the rules of complex numbers, such as multiplying by the complex conjugate, to eliminate the imaginary part and solve for the real part of the solution.

4. Can you explain the concept of imaginary numbers in solving equations?

Imaginary numbers are numbers that are not real but can be expressed as a multiple of the imaginary unit, i (√-1). In solving equations, imaginary numbers are used to represent solutions that do not have a real value, such as when taking the square root of a negative number. They are an important component in solving equations involving complex numbers.

5. What is the difference between real and imaginary solutions in solving equations?

Real solutions are those that have a value on the real number line, while imaginary solutions do not have a real value and are represented by a multiple of the imaginary unit (√-1). In solving equations, real and imaginary solutions can both be valid solutions, depending on the given equation and the values of the variables.