Solving for Accelleration with only Coeffifcient of Friction, and mass

In summary, the coefficient of kinetic friction between rubber tires and wet pavement is 0.50. The brakes are applied to a 750kg car traveling 30.0 m/s and the car skids to a stop. Using the equations F(f) = uF(n), F(n) = mg, and F(net) = ma, the acceleration of the car can be calculated to be 4.9 m/s in the opposite direction of its initial velocity. The brakes provide an internal force, while the force of friction between the wheels and the road is what ultimately slows down the car.
Syndrix

Homework Statement

The coefficient of kinetic friction between rubber tires and wet pavement is 0.50. The brakes are applied to a 750kg car traveling 30.0 m/s and the car skids to a stop. What would be the magnitude and direction of the acceleration on the car?

u = 0.50
m = 750kg
V(i) = 30m/s

Homework Equations

F(f) = uF(n)
F(n) = mg
F(net) = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

p

No matter what way I look at this I cannot find a way to calculate acceleration with this set of data. I realize I need F(a) but I can't seem to get it.
I know F(f) = umg, and solved: F(f) = (0.5)(750)(9.81) and got F(f) = 3678.75 N
F(net) = ma => F(f) + F(a) = ma
This is as far as I get because I have two unknowns, F(a) and a

Physics news on Phys.org
The only force acting on the car is the force of friction.

SHISHKABOB said:
The only force acting on the car is the force of friction.

Wouldn't the breaks act as an applied force?

The brakes are applying a force internal to the system of the car. The brakes force the wheels to stop moving, and then the force of friction between the wheels and the road is what slows down the car.

So if Force friction is the only force, then;
F(f) = F(net)
F(f) = ma
F(f) = a
M

3678 = a

a = 4.9m/s

don't forget to consider the direction of the acceleration

Ah, Thank you so much for your help. This will help me a lot with my studies.

Related to Solving for Accelleration with only Coeffifcient of Friction, and mass

What is the formula for calculating acceleration with only coefficient of friction and mass?

The formula for calculating acceleration with only coefficient of friction and mass is a = μ*g, where a is acceleration, μ is the coefficient of friction, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

How do you find the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be found by measuring the force required to move an object across a surface and dividing it by the normal force exerted on the object by the surface. Alternatively, it can also be found by using friction tables or by conducting experiments.

Can the coefficient of friction be negative?

No, the coefficient of friction cannot be negative. It is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of frictional force to normal force, and it is always a positive value.

How does mass affect acceleration in this scenario?

In this scenario, mass affects acceleration by influencing the normal force exerted on the object. The greater the mass, the greater the normal force, and therefore, the greater the frictional force. This results in a lower acceleration.

Are there any assumptions when using this method to calculate acceleration?

Yes, there are a few assumptions when using this method to calculate acceleration. These include assuming a constant value for the coefficient of friction, ignoring air resistance, and considering a flat and uniform surface. Real-life scenarios may involve varying coefficient of friction, air resistance, and uneven surfaces, which can affect the accuracy of the calculation.