Solving Fermions: Finding States & Energies

• Thread starter guidob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fermions
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the possible states and energies of a system with 3 neutrons and a given Hamiltonian. It is noted that the spin functions must be antisymmetric and that there is no spatial dependence in the Hamiltonian. The conversation then suggests using spin and spatial wave functions to find the possible states and mentions using Clebsch-Gordan coefficients. The importance of considering both symmetric and antisymmetric combinations is also mentioned. The conversation ends with gratitude to those who provided help and a confirmation of the possible states to consider.
guidob
Hello. I found this forum when i was looking for some help with the following problem:

---------------------------------------------------------------
There are 3 neutrons (s=1/2). The hamiltonian of the system is:

H = S^2 - Sz^2 - (3/2)hbar^2

I need to found the possible states and energies.
----------------------------------------------------------------

The functions must be antisymetrical, right? But there is no spatial dependence in H.
So, the spin functions must be antisymetrical?
In that case, I don't know how do spin functions look like.
(S=S1+S2+S3 and Sz=Sz1+... are the operators of the total spin).

I'd be really greatfull if somebody help me with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can start with the 2-spin (1/2) wave functions (you must know how they look like ritght?) Then using clebsh gordans, find all the possible 3--spin (1/2) wave functions.

Then you can look which are totaly antisymmetric w.r.t particle exhange, and which are eigenfunctions of that hamiltionian etc.

There is no antisymmetric combination of three spin 1/2 particles.
You have to couple a mixed symmetry spin state with a mixed symmetry spatial state,
or couple symmetric spin and space states.
Assuming that H has no spatial component, you can just put S=3/2 and S=1/2 into your formula with all possible S_z.

yes, I forgot to add that, you need some orbital angular momentum to get total antisymetric.

But you don't have any spatial dependence in that hamiltonian, so just do what clem told you.

Thank you malawi and clem. I'll try that.

So, i must consider all the S=3/2 and S=1/2, with any Sz, as possible states?

You have been very helpful.

Guido.

Related to Solving Fermions: Finding States & Energies

1. What are Fermions?

Fermions are a type of elementary particle that follow Fermi-Dirac statistics and have half-integer spin. They make up the building blocks of matter and include particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons.

2. Why is it important to solve Fermions?

Solving Fermions allows us to understand the properties and behavior of matter at a fundamental level. This knowledge is crucial for many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics, condensed matter physics, and nuclear physics.

3. What is the difference between finding states and energies in Fermions?

Finding states refers to determining the possible quantum states that a Fermion can occupy, while finding energies involves calculating the corresponding energies for those states. In other words, finding states tells us what is possible, and finding energies tells us how much energy is associated with each possibility.

4. How do scientists solve Fermions?

There are various mathematical and computational methods used to solve Fermions, such as the Hartree-Fock method, the variational method, and the density functional theory. These methods involve solving complex equations and using approximations to find solutions for the states and energies of Fermions.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving Fermions?

The understanding gained from solving Fermions has led to advances in technology, such as the development of transistors and computer memory. It also has implications for fields such as materials science, where the properties of materials can be better understood and manipulated. Additionally, solving Fermions has helped us better understand the behavior of matter in extreme conditions, such as in the early universe or in high-energy particle collisions.