Solving Exponent Questions: 0< s,t,u<1

• Thread starter kkaman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponents
In summary, the question asks which of the following is close to s+(s+t)10^6+u10^12, given that 0< s,t,u<1. The first term can be disregarded for estimation purposes. The second term or the third term could dominate, depending on the values of s+t vs. u. For the sum to be close to 10^12, u must be large, and for it to be close to s+t+u, s+t must be small compared to u. The fourth choice, (s+t+u)10^6, is always an underestimate but could be close if u is tiny compared to s+t. Usually, it would not be close.
kkaman
If 0< s,t,u<1

then which of the following is close to s+(s+t)10^6+u10^12

1. (s+t+u)10^12
2. 10^12
3. 10^18
OR what else do u think is the answer?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
More to the point, what do YOU think is the answer. Have you tried putting specific values, say s= 1/4, t= 1/2, u= 3/4 and see what happens? The answer will, I suspect, depend upon the relative sizes of s, t, and u. For example, it u= 10-12, then that 1012 term disappears.

I don't know the answer honestly. I know it all depends on the size of proper fractions also what happens if all the fractions are equal. I'll appreciate if anyone can explain the strategy to solve such questions quickly.
thanks

The first term is irrelevant and can be dropped for the purpose of estimation. It can't affect the total by even one part in a million.

It's possible for the second term or the third term to dominate, depending on the values of s+t vs. u. For the sum to be close to 10^12, u must be large -- around x to be within a factor of x. (If you want it to be within 1%, u needs to be around 0.99.)

For the sum to be close to s+t+u, s+t must be small compared to u.

i have gone through the question again and the 4th choice is (s+t+u)10^6. do u think this could be the answer?

kkaman said:
i have gone through the question again and the 4th choice is (s+t+u)10^6. do u think this could be the answer?

It's always an underestimate, but if u is tiny compared to s+t it could be close. Usually it would not be close.

Related to Solving Exponent Questions: 0< s,t,u<1

1. What is the basic concept of exponents?

The concept of exponents involves using a number, known as the base, raised to a certain power or exponent. This means that the base number is multiplied by itself a certain number of times, according to the value of the exponent.

2. Why is it important to specify that 0< s,t,u<1 in exponent questions?

Specifying that all numbers involved in the exponents are between 0 and 1 is important because it indicates that the result will be a fraction or decimal, rather than a whole number. This helps to set expectations and guide problem-solving strategies.

3. How do you solve exponents with numbers between 0 and 1?

To solve exponents with numbers between 0 and 1, you can use the rules of exponents, such as multiplying exponents with the same base by adding their exponents, and dividing exponents with the same base by subtracting their exponents. You can also use a calculator to simplify the calculations.

4. What is the difference between solving exponents with numbers greater than 1 versus numbers between 0 and 1?

When solving exponents with numbers greater than 1, the result will be a whole number or a fraction, depending on the exponent given. However, when solving exponents with numbers between 0 and 1, the result will always be a fraction or decimal, which may require converting to a percentage or decimal point.

5. Can exponents with numbers between 0 and 1 have negative exponents?

Yes, exponents with numbers between 0 and 1 can have negative exponents. This simply means that the base number will be divided by itself a certain number of times, according to the value of the negative exponent. For example, 0.5-2 = 1/(0.52) = 1/0.25 = 4.