Solving Equations with Fractional Exponents

In summary, In this problem x1/2 + 2 = 6, but x1/2 = -8. x + 4x1/2 - 32 = 0 is a quadratic equation that can be solved using the quadratic formula or by factoring.
Peter G.
The question is x2/3 - x1/3 - 2 = 0

So the first thing I did was: x2/3 - x1/3 = 2

Then, I put both sides to the power of three, so I got:

x2 - x1 = 8

From there I factorized: x (x - 1) =8

And got the answers: x = 8 or x = 9, the book however, says the correct answers are -1 and 8.

Any help?

Thanks in advance,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org

Peter G. said:
The question is x2/3 - x1/3 - 2 = 0

So the first thing I did was: x2/3 - x1/3 = 2

Then, I put both sides to the power of three, so I got:

x2 - x1 = 8
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the step above is wrong. When you cube both sides you have to cube the entire side, not just cube individual terms.

The correct approach to this problem is to realize that your initial equation is quadratic in form. Then make the appropriate substitution and solve the resulting quadratic equation.
Peter G. said:

And got the answers: x = 8 or x = 9, the book however, says the correct answers are -1 and 8.

Any help?

Thanks in advance,
Peter G.

Try u-substitution. Of course it can be solved without doing substitution, but it makes it much easier.

Sorry, I am a bit confused. What do you mean by cubing the whole side?

I have another similar problem to this one to do next, do you think you could guide me through this one in a bit more detail so I can tackle the next on my own?

Thanks,
Peter G.

You have another mistake, as well.
Peter G. said:

The fact that two numbers multiply to give 8 doesn't really help you very much. If you know that two numbers multiply to 0, then one of them has to be 0.

Your solutions of 8 and 9 don't work. If x = 8, then 8(7) = 8 is not true, so x = 8 is not a solution.

If x = 9, then 9(8) = 8 is also untrue, so x = 9 is also not a solution.

u = x1/3

u2 = x2/3

Try that...

Peter G. said:
Sorry, I am a bit confused. What do you mean by cubing the whole side?

I have another similar problem to this one to do next, do you think you could guide me through this one in a bit more detail so I can tackle the next on my own?

Thanks,
Peter G.
It's probably easier with an example.

x1/2 + 2 = 6

I can square both sides of this equation to get a new equation. The key here is that I have to square (x1/2 + 2), which is different from squaring x1/2 and 2 separately.

After squaring both sides I get

(x1/2 + 2)2 = 62

or x + 4x1/2 + 4 = 36
or x + 4x1/2 = 32

If I rewrite this as x + 4x1/2 - 32 = 0, then I might recognize that this equation is quadratic in form, namely

(x1/2)2 + 4x1/2 - 32 = 0

If I replace x1/2 by u, then I have a true quadratic equation, namely u4 + 4u - 32 = 0.

I can use the quadratic formula or, more simply, just factor the equation above as
(u - 4)(u + 8) = 0

This says that u = 4 or u = -8.

Undoing the substitution I have x1/2 = 4, so x = 16
or x1/2 = -8, (not possible for real numbers x).

As a check, 161/2 + 2 = 4 + 2 = 6, so it checks.

I wouldn't have worked this problem the way I did, since I made more work than was necessary, but I was trying to make a point about squaring both sides. The same applies when you cube both sides, raise both sides to the fourth power, etc.

Thanks, got what you meant. I will try now.:smile:

Related to Solving Equations with Fractional Exponents

1. What is a fractional exponent?

A fractional exponent is a way of representing powers or roots that are not whole numbers. It is written as a fraction, where the numerator represents the power and the denominator represents the root.

2. How do I solve an equation with fractional exponents?

To solve an equation with fractional exponents, you can follow these steps:

1. Isolate the term with the fractional exponent on one side of the equation.
  2. Convert the fractional exponent to an equivalent radical expression.
  3. Solve the equation using algebraic properties.
  4. Check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

3. Can I simplify a fractional exponent?

Yes, you can simplify a fractional exponent by writing it in its radical form. For example, 21/2 is equivalent to √2.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations with fractional exponents?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations with fractional exponents include:

• Forgetting to convert the fractional exponent to a radical form.
  • Not simplifying the radical expression before solving the equation.
  • Making careless errors while simplifying the equation.
  • Forgetting to check the solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

5. Can I solve equations with negative fractional exponents?

Yes, equations with negative fractional exponents can be solved using the same steps as equations with positive fractional exponents. Just remember that a negative exponent indicates the reciprocal of the base raised to the positive exponent. For example, 2-1/2 is equivalent to 1/√2.