Solving equations via substitution

In summary, the conversation is about using substitution to solve an equation involving k, n, and c. The equation is n=k+c and the given values are k=7 and n=2^c-1. The goal is to find the value of c, but substituting c=4 does not give the correct answer. The conversation also mentions a related problem that involves n=4+c and n=2^c-1, with the solution c=2^c-5.
jackscholar
I am trying to solve an equation that involves substitution.

I was given k= 7 in the equation n=k+c
i was also given n=2^c-1
I figured that 7+c could be substituted into the equation as n, so I got
7+c=2^c-1 and therefore c=2^c-8.
The problem is that the answer I want is c=4...but substituting 4 as C does not give me a correct answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Maybe the probem should say n = k + 2c

This pertains to hamming codes, so n is the total number of bits, k is the amount of information digits and c is the amount of check digits. I was given another example aswell. This example says: Suppose there are four information digits.
Then n=4+c
and n=2^c-1
then 4+c=2^c-1
hence c=2^c-5

jackscholar said:
I was given k= 7 in the equation n=k+c
i was also given n=2^c-1
This pertains to hamming codes

The inequation I see on the web for hamming codes is [itex] n \le 2^c -1 [/itex]

for reaching out for help with this equation. It seems that you have correctly substituted 7+c for n in the first equation. However, when you substituted 4 for c in the second equation, you may have made a mistake in your calculations. I would suggest double checking your work to see if you can identify where the error occurred. Additionally, it may be helpful to try solving the equation using a different method, such as graphing or using algebraic manipulations, to see if you arrive at the correct answer of c=4. If you are still having trouble, please feel free to provide more information or equations and I would be happy to assist further.

Related to Solving equations via substitution

1. How do I identify which variable to substitute in an equation?

When solving equations by substitution, you want to choose a variable that has a coefficient of 1 or -1. If this is not possible, you can manipulate the equation to make a variable have a coefficient of 1 or -1.

2. Do I always have to use substitution to solve equations?

No, substitution is just one method of solving equations. There are other methods such as elimination, graphing, or using matrices.

3. Can I use substitution to solve any type of equation?

Substitution can be used to solve linear equations, quadratic equations, and systems of equations. However, it may not always be the most efficient method for every type of equation.

4. What happens if I get a negative or complex number as a solution when using substitution?

If you get a negative or complex number as a solution, it is important to check your work and make sure you did not make any mistakes. It is also possible that the equation has no real solutions.

5. Is there a specific order in which I should substitute variables?

It is generally recommended to substitute the variable with the simplest expression first, to make the process easier. However, there is no specific order that you must follow when substituting variables.