Solving equations simultaneously circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve equations involving currents and resistances. The person struggles with canceling out variables and is looking for input. The equations provided are rewritten to make them easier to solve and eventually lead to two equations involving only i1 and i2. The final step is to solve for i1 and i2 one at a time.
spottedcow913
I really struggle with these and would just like someones input on how to best solve these, I can never seem to cancel everything out except the variable I am looking for. I have:

E-i1-Ri2=0
Ri2-Ri3=0
i1+i2+i3

I am looking to solve for i1

All R's are equal to 0.73 x10^6 ohms so I just simplified them all to R instead of R1 R2 and R3

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first equation seems to be wrong because the units don't work out. I'll assume there's supposed to be an R before i1.

I'd start by rewriting them slightly so it's easier to see what to do:

Code:
R i1 + R i2        = E
       R i2 - R i3 = 0
  i1 +   i2 +   i3 = 0

Divide the first and second equations by R so all you have are currents on the left.

Code:
i1 + i2      = E/R
     i2 - i3 = 0
i1 + i2 + i3 = 0

Can you see how you can get rid of i3 and end up with two equations involving just i1 and i2?

hi spottedcow913! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

just solve the equations one at a time

in this case, start with the middle one, and you get I2 = I3

now substitue that into the third one …

what do you get? :smile:

Related to Solving equations simultaneously circuits

1. What are simultaneous equations in circuits?

Simultaneous equations in circuits are mathematical equations that represent the relationships between multiple variables in an electrical circuit. They are used to analyze and solve complex circuits that cannot be solved using traditional single-equation methods.

2. Why are simultaneous equations important in circuit analysis?

Simultaneous equations are important in circuit analysis because they allow us to determine the values of multiple variables in a circuit at the same time. This is crucial for designing and troubleshooting complex circuits.

3. How do you write simultaneous equations for a circuit?

To write simultaneous equations for a circuit, you must first identify the unknown variables in the circuit. Then, use Kirchhoff's voltage and current laws to create equations that relate these variables. Finally, rearrange the equations to put the variables on one side and the constants on the other side.

4. What is the process for solving simultaneous equations in circuits?

The process for solving simultaneous equations in circuits is to first write the equations for the circuit using Kirchhoff's laws. Then, use algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination to solve for the unknown variables. Finally, check your solutions by plugging them back into the original equations.

5. Can you solve simultaneous equations in circuits using software?

Yes, simultaneous equations in circuits can be solved using software such as circuit analysis programs or spreadsheet programs. These programs use numerical methods to quickly and accurately solve complex circuits with multiple simultaneous equations.