Solving Equations of the Form Ax - By = 1

In summary, the algorithm can be used to find a solution to an equation of the form Ax-By=1 where A and B are given. There are more than one solution to this equation, and how they are found is unknown.
soandos
I know how the algorithm can be used to find a solution to an equation of the form
Ax - By = 1 where A and B are given.
I also know that there is more than one solution to this. how are the others found.
for example:
for 17x-11y=1
17=11+6
11=6+5
6=5+1
then reversing to get the coefficients (find how many times each one appears)
17-11-(11-(17-11))
yielding 2*17-3*11.
there are infinitely many more solutions to this.
Anyone know how they are found?
when i plotted the first hundred solutions they seemed linear, but that might be wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
soandos said:
there are infinitely many more solutions to this.
Anyone know how they are found?
when i plotted the first hundred solutions they seemed linear, but that might be wrong.
Well, it is a linear system of equations consisting of one equation and two variables... Sure, only wanting the integer solutions is a wrinke, but are there any others?

yes for example
{244,377}
{1201,1856}
{1630,2519}
{3511,5426}
{5876,9081}

to the best of my knowledge they all lie on a line with a slope of 19/17

EDIT: also, does anyone know how to solve ax-by-cz...==1 for integer solutions only?
EDIT: While all of the solutions are on the line, they are not evenly spaced
EDIT: While they are not evenly spaced, the equation for the difference between spaces is
y=17/11x+0.

Last edited:
soandos said:
EDIT: also, does anyone know how to solve ax-by-cz...==1 for integer solutions only?
Well, it's a linear equation in three variables... What do the ideas behind the Euclidean algorithm give you?

While all of the solutions are on the line, they are not evenly spaced
You sure about that?

While they are not evenly spaced, the equation for the difference between spaces is
y=17/11x+0.
Right. And for what values of x will y be an integer? Can you write the general solution in the usual form
(x, y) = (a, b) + t (c, d)​
with the twist that a, b, c, d, t are all integers?

If [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]y_1[/itex] are integer solutions to ax+ by= c then so are [itex]x_n= x_1+ bn[/itex] and [itex]y_n= y_1- an[/itex], for n any integer, because a(x_1+ bn)+ b(y_1- an)= ax_1+ by_1+ abn- abn= ax_1+ by_1= c. It's only slightly harder to show that any integer solutions to that equation must be of that form.

thanks.
hurkyl:
ax-by-cz = d
I am not sure. i know that i can find the gcd of all three (just have to do it two at a time), and i know that i can find solutions with any two of the variables, but that does not get me the third.
is it possible to solve for any any two (make z zero), then solve it again for z = 1, and since it is linear in three variables can i just plot the line, and all solutions will be on that line?

with respect to the last part, i am not sure what you mean (i have never taken number theory)

soandos said:
with respect to the last part, i am not sure what you mean (i have never taken number theory)
In your linear algebra class, when you solve systems of equations, you often express the general answer in a form like
[tex]
(x, y) = (2, 1/3) + t (1, -5/2)
[/tex]
You can do the same thing with integer systems of equations, but with the added feature that everything in sight is an integer. (And done to ensure that no solutions would be missed)

sorry haven't taken that either.
just seen the algorithm somewhere are started messing with it.
(x,y) means what?

A little bit after half-way through this video, the prof. explains how to get all solutions. http://cmes.uccs.edu/Spring2008/Math311/Videos/Math311Lecture5.mov

And I learned a new way to do multiplication : P

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solving Equations of the Form Ax - By = 1

1. What is the main objective of solving equations of the form Ax - By = 1?

The main objective of solving equations of the form Ax - By = 1 is to find the values of x and y that satisfy the equation and make it true. This is known as finding the solution or root of the equation.

2. What do the variables A and B represent in the equation Ax - By = 1?

The variable A represents the coefficient of x, while the variable B represents the coefficient of y. These coefficients determine the relationship between x and y in the equation.

3. How do I solve an equation of the form Ax - By = 1?

To solve an equation of the form Ax - By = 1, you can use the properties of equality to manipulate the equation and isolate the variables on one side of the equation. You can then use inverse operations to solve for the unknown variables.

4. Can there be more than one solution to an equation of the form Ax - By = 1?

Yes, there can be more than one solution to an equation of the form Ax - By = 1. This means that there can be multiple values for x and y that satisfy the equation and make it true. However, there can also be cases where there is no solution or where the solution is undefined.

5. How do I check if my solution is correct for an equation of the form Ax - By = 1?

To check if your solution is correct for an equation of the form Ax - By = 1, you can substitute the values of x and y into the equation and see if it results in a true statement. If the equation is true, then your solution is correct. If it is false, then you may have made an error in your calculations.