Solving equations in sin and cos theta

In summary, the conversation is about solving a mechanics problem involving an equation with one unknown, theta. The first suggestion is to use substitutions to simplify the equation into a polynomial form. However, the second suggestion involves using complex numbers and results in a quadratic equation. The conversation ends with a request for the OP to update their progress before further help is offered.
holulumaster
Hi,
I have been trying to solve some mechanics problems and I can come up with the right equation, but I don't know how to solve it...
For example:

490.5cos(theta) - 3600cos(theta)sin(theta) + 1800sin(theta) = 0

i need to solve for theta here
its one equation and one unknown, which means it is solvable..
but how?

thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
My suggestion would be to write cos(theta) = x, sin(theta) = sqrt(1-x^2), and simplify. Then you'll have a polynomial equation to solve.

That substitution seems to give a 4th order polynomial, which is very impractical.

I rather suggest using
[tex]\cos\theta=\Re (e^{i\theta})[/tex]
and
[tex]\sin\theta=\frac{e^{i\theta}-e^{-i\theta}}{2i}[/tex]
which gives you a quadric equation for [itex]e^{i\theta}[/itex]

Gerenuk said:
That substitution seems to give a 4th order polynomial, which is very impractical.

I rather suggest using
[tex]\cos\theta=\Re (e^{i\theta})[/tex]
and
[tex]\sin\theta=\frac{e^{i\theta}-e^{-i\theta}}{2i}[/tex]
which gives you a quadric equation for [itex]e^{i\theta}[/itex]

But that would not give a quadratic polynomial in eiθ, due to the e-iθ and Re[eiθ]terms.

p.s...

Moderator's note, let's let the OP respond with his/her progress on the problem before offering more help.

It would give a quadric equation, because that terms cancels.

Yet my method doesn't work, because if an equation is valid for the real part only, you cannot require it to be true for without the Re() operator :(
Because then the angle would be complex.

Anyway. My method doesn't work the way I wanted...

Unless someone sees a way to solve
[tex]\Re(z^2+2az-1)=0[/tex]
with [itex]|z|=1[/itex] and a a complex number.

Last edited:

Related to Solving equations in sin and cos theta

1. What do sin and cos theta represent in equations?

Sin and cos theta represent the trigonometric functions of an angle in a right triangle. Sin theta is the ratio of the length of the side opposite the angle to the length of the hypotenuse, and cos theta is the ratio of the length of the adjacent side to the length of the hypotenuse.

2. How do I solve equations involving sin and cos theta?

To solve equations involving sin and cos theta, you can use trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identity and the double angle identities, to simplify the equation and solve for the unknown variable.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve these equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve equations in sin and cos theta. Most scientific calculators have trigonometric functions built in, making it easier to solve equations involving these functions.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations in sin and cos theta?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations in sin and cos theta include forgetting to convert degrees to radians, using the wrong trigonometric identity, and not simplifying the equation before solving for the unknown variable.

5. How can I check my answer when solving equations in sin and cos theta?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator to plot the equation and see if the points of intersection match your solution.