Solving Equations for t': Negative Time Confusion

In summary, the equation gives an answer that is incorrect. The problem may be with the input or with the equation itself.
Pochen Liu
Homework Statement
How can the answer be negative time?
Relevant Equations
*attached
Equations:

Question:

Using the equation for t' I got the answer -0.00000499756s (Wrong anyway)
As we know the values:
v = 0.67c m/s
x = 3900 m
t = 0.000005 s

Also how can time be negative? Does this mean that event 2 happened before the first event when t = 0?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pochen Liu said:
Problem Statement: How can the answer be negative time?
Relevant Equations: *attached

Equations:
View attachment 243341

Question:
View attachment 243342

Using the equation for t' I got the answer -0.00000499756s
As we know the values:
v = 0.67c m/s
x = 3900 m
t = 0.000005 s

How can time be negative? Does this mean that event 2 happened before the first event when t = 0?

If events in one reference frame are spacelike separated (i.e. the distance between them is greater than the time between them multiplied by ##c##), then in another frame they may happen in a different order.

Last edited:
Likes Pochen Liu
PeroK said:
If events in one reference frame are spacelike (i.e. the distance between them is greater than the time between them multiplied by ##c##), then in another frame they may happen in a different order.
What am I doing wrong?
t' = (0.000005 - (0.67*3900)/c)/sqrt(1-0.67^2)
t' = -0.00000499756s

A hint would be amazing! Have I fundementally misinterpreted the equation

Pochen Liu said:
What am I doing wrong?
t' = (0.000005 - (0.67*3900)/c)/sqrt(1-0.67^2)
t' = -0.00000499756s

A hint would be amazing! Have I fundementally misinterpreted the equation
I haven't checked the numbers but that looks correct.

PeroK said:
I haven't checked the numbers but that looks correct.
Sorry I forgot to mention it's wrong

Pochen Liu said:
Sorry I forgot to mention it's wrong

What is supposed to be the answer? I'm only on my phone, so hard to check properly.

They don't provide us answers sadly

PeroK said:
If events in one reference frame are spacelike
Jus a pet peeve about terminology. The events in themselves are not spacelike (it is not clear what that would mean), their separation is.

Pochen Liu said:
They don't provide us answers sadly
How do you know it's wrong?

Ps I get ##-0.5 \mu s## on my phone.

Related to Solving Equations for t': Negative Time Confusion

What does it mean when a solution for t is negative?

When solving equations for time, a negative solution for t means that the event or situation being measured occurred before the start of the time frame or reference point. This can happen when using certain formulas or when solving equations involving rates or distances.

Why does negative time confusion occur?

Negative time confusion can occur due to a variety of reasons. One common cause is using incorrect formulas or equations that do not account for negative time. Another cause can be misinterpreting the meaning of the solution for t, especially when solving word problems. It is important to carefully check the equations and the context of the problem to avoid negative time confusion.

How can negative time confusion be avoided?

To avoid negative time confusion, it is important to double-check the equations and formulas being used. Make sure they are appropriate for the given situation and take into account the possibility of negative time. When solving word problems, it is also helpful to carefully read and understand the context to correctly interpret the solution for t.

Can negative time be a valid solution?

Yes, negative time can be a valid solution in certain cases. For example, when solving equations involving distances or rates, the negative solution for t may represent a situation where an object was moving in the opposite direction or at a negative rate. However, in other cases, a negative solution for t may not make sense and should be re-evaluated.

How do I know if the negative solution for t is correct?

To determine if the negative solution for t is correct, it is important to check if it makes sense in the given context. If the negative solution does not make sense or seems illogical, it is best to re-evaluate the equations and the problem to find a more appropriate solution. It is also helpful to check the solution by plugging it back into the original equation to see if it satisfies the equation.