Solving Equations by Factoring - Find the length of the hypotenuse

In summary, the author found that the length of the hypotenuse is 2.2 times the length of the shorter leg. They also found that if they use the equation c=4n^2+5, the answer is n=1.
Raizy
"Solving Equations by Factoring" - Find the length of the hypotenuse

Homework Statement

One leg of a right triangle is 2 feet more than twice the other leg. The hypotenuse is 1 foot more than the longer leg. Find the length of the hypotenuse of the right triangle.

* I am not sure how to calculate the square of the hypotenuse [tex](2n+2)+1 [/tex]

Whether it's supposed to be [tex]4n^2+4+1 = 4n^2+5[/tex]
or [tex]4n^2+9[/tex]

Maybe this is why I don't know how to get the right answer?

Given formulas:

Hypotenuse denoted by c = [tex](2n+2)+1[/tex]
Leg 1 denoted by a = [tex]2n+2[/tex]
Leg 2 denoted by n = n

The book's answer: The length of the hypotenuse is 13 feet.

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt 1:

[tex]c^2-a^2=n^2[/tex]
[tex](4n^2+9)-(4n^2+4)=n^2[/tex]
[tex]5=n^2[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{5}=n[/tex]
[tex]n=2.2[/tex] I don't think they want decimals so I tried another way. Also, if I were to use [text] c=4n^2+5[/text] I would get n=1 again.

Attempt 2:
[tex]c^2=a^2+b^2[/tex]
[tex](4n^2+4)+1=(4n^2+4)+(n^2)[/tex]
[tex](4n^2+4)+1=5n^2+4[/tex]
[tex](-n^2)+1=0[/tex]
[tex]-(n^2+1)=0[/tex]
[tex]n^2-1=0[/tex]
[tex]n^2=1[/tex]
[tex]n=1[/tex]

Are there any hints that would help me a lot? Thanks folks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

For starters, the length of the hypotenuse ca be simplified: [itex](2n+2)+1=2n+3[/itex], so it's square is just [itex](2n+3)^2[/itex]...how do you square any binomial?:wink:

Try it like this,

Short Leg is x,

Longer leg is 2x+2,

Hypotenuse is 2x+3,

Pythagorean theorem says that the sum of the squares of the two legs is equal to the square of the hypotenuse.

So (x)^2 + (2x+2)^2 = (2x+3)^2. Try to solve that.

Remember that (a+b)^2 is not equal to a^2 + b^2. You have to use foil when their is a plus sign in there.

gabbagabbahey said:
For starters, the length of the hypotenuse ca be simplified: [itex](2n+2)+1=2n+3[/itex], so it's square is just [itex](2n+3)^2[/itex]...how do you square any binomial?:wink:

I got confused because bedmas said brackets and exponents are first... i dunno

Last edited:

oh ok... now I know what you were saying, I got messed up and got confused about how you simplify exponents like [tex] (m^2m^7)^3=m^6m^{21}[/tex] and [tex](m+n)^2\neq m^2+n^2[/tex]

Related to Solving Equations by Factoring - Find the length of the hypotenuse

1. What is the process for solving equations by factoring to find the length of the hypotenuse?

To solve equations by factoring and find the length of the hypotenuse, you will need to follow these steps:

Step 1: Identify the given equation and make sure it is in the form of ax² + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants.

Step 2: Factor the equation into two binomials, using the FOIL method.

Step 3: Set each binomial equal to 0 and solve for the variable.

Step 4: Once you have the values for the variable, plug them back into the original equation to find the length of the hypotenuse.

2. Why is factoring an important skill when solving equations to find the length of the hypotenuse?

Factoring is an important skill because it allows us to simplify complex equations and make them easier to solve. In the case of finding the length of the hypotenuse, factoring helps us identify the necessary components and find the solution more efficiently.

3. Can all equations be solved by factoring to find the length of the hypotenuse?

No, not all equations can be solved by factoring. Some equations may require other methods such as using the quadratic formula or completing the square. It is important to identify which method is best suited for each particular equation.

4. Are there any special cases when solving equations by factoring to find the length of the hypotenuse?

Yes, there are special cases when solving equations by factoring to find the length of the hypotenuse. For example, if the equation has a GCF (Greatest Common Factor), it must be factored out first before using the FOIL method. Additionally, if the equation has a leading coefficient other than 1, the steps may vary slightly.

5. What are some tips for solving equations by factoring to find the length of the hypotenuse?

Some tips for solving equations by factoring to find the length of the hypotenuse include: always check for a GCF, look for patterns in the equation, and double check your solution by substituting it back into the original equation. It is also important to practice and familiarize yourself with various types of equations to develop your factoring skills.