Solving equation/matrices by Doolitle Method

In summary, the Doolittle method is a numerical technique used for solving systems of linear equations and matrices. It differs from other methods by decomposing the matrix into lower and upper triangular matrices simultaneously, and is commonly used when dealing with large and complex matrices. It has several benefits, such as accuracy and ease of implementation, but may not be suitable for matrices with a high degree of sparsity.
ms_r
Hi guys
I just received my assignment about solving equation/matrices by Doolitle Method by using Matlab or mathcad. anyone expert in this software can explain to me how do i start first step?
I cannot understand even i searching on the net.
Tq

Physics news on Phys.org
For MathCad try here,

http://www.ptc.com/appserver/mkt/products/resource/list-dtav.jsp?&rccg=888&nav=5283&sec=&top=0&section=mathcad_resource_center

Thanks
Matt

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello,

The Doolitle method is a numerical method used to solve systems of linear equations or matrices. It is a variation of the LU decomposition method, where a matrix is decomposed into a lower triangular matrix and an upper triangular matrix.

To start with the Doolitle method, you will need to have a basic understanding of matrices and linear equations. Then, you can follow these steps:

1. Write down the system of linear equations or the matrix equation that you want to solve. For example, if you have the system of equations:

2x + y + z = 6
x + 3y + 2z = 11
3x + 2y + 4z = 15

You can rewrite it in matrix form as:
[2 1 1; 1 3 2; 3 2 4] * [x; y; z] = [6; 11; 15]

2. Create a matrix A and a vector b from the coefficients of the equations. In the above example, A = [2 1 1; 1 3 2; 3 2 4] and b = [6; 11; 15].

3. Use the Doolitle method to decompose matrix A into a lower triangular matrix L and an upper triangular matrix U. This can be done by performing Gaussian elimination on A.

4. Solve for the unknown vector x by using the formula x = U^-1 * (L^-1 * b). This can be done easily in Matlab or Mathcad by using the backslash operator (\).

5. Once you have the values of x, y, and z, you can check if they satisfy the original equations. If they do, then you have successfully solved the system of equations using the Doolitle method.

I hope this helps you get started on your assignment. Good luck!

Related to Solving equation/matrices by Doolitle Method

1. What is the Doolittle method for solving equations and matrices?

The Doolittle method is a numerical technique used to solve systems of linear equations and matrices. It involves decomposing a matrix into a lower triangular matrix and an upper triangular matrix, and then using forward and backward substitution to solve for the unknown variables.

2. How does the Doolittle method differ from other methods of solving equations and matrices?

The Doolittle method differs from other methods, such as Gaussian elimination and LU decomposition, in that it decomposes the matrix into lower and upper triangular matrices simultaneously, rather than separately. This can sometimes lead to a more efficient solution process.

3. When is the Doolittle method most commonly used?

The Doolittle method is commonly used when solving systems of linear equations with large matrices, as it can often be more efficient and accurate than other methods.

4. What are the main benefits of using the Doolittle method?

The Doolittle method has several benefits, including being straightforward to implement, having a high level of accuracy, and being able to handle large and complex matrices.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Doolittle method?

One potential limitation of the Doolittle method is that it may not work for matrices with a high degree of sparsity, meaning that most of the entries are zero. In these cases, other methods may be more suitable for finding a solution.