Calculating Linear Momentum in Elastic Collision of Two Balls

In summary, two balls with masses of 2m and m respectively collide with an initial speed and an elastic collision occurs. Using the equations for conservation of linear momentum and kinetic energy, the proportion of linear momentum between the balls after the collision can be calculated. If it is a head-on collision, the ratio would be -1, but if not, the angle of collision would also need to be taken into account.
Lorentz
Two balls hit each other.

One ball with a mass of 2m standing still relative to the earth. The other ball has a mass of 1m and hits the ball of 2m at a certain speed. The collision is elastic.

Could you calculate the proportion of Linear Momentum between both balls after the collision with this information?

Physics news on Phys.org
M1 = 2m
M2 = m
v - speed before collision
u - speed after collision

[tex]M_1v_1 + M_2v_2 = M_1u_1 + M_2u_2[/tex]

Cancelling the mass and zero speed we get:

[tex]v_2 = 2u_1 + u_2[/tex]

Second equation:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(M_1v_1^2 + M_2v_2^2) = \frac{1}{2}(M_1u_1^2 + M_2u_2^2)[/tex]

Cancelling the mass and zero speed we get:

[tex]v_2^2 = 2u_1^2 + u_2^2[/tex]

Two equations with two variables, you can find both u1 and u2 and therefore the ratio of linear momentums of both balls. I think it turns out to be -1...

(By the way, I assumed head-on collision here. If it's not you also need the angle.)

Last edited:
Chen said:
(By the way, I assumed head-on collision here. If it's not you also need the angle.)

Thanks!... it's actually not a head-on collision, but I figured out I could manage to fit in the angle myself. If I experience difficulties I'll let you know. :cool:

1. What is linear momentum in an elastic collision?

Linear momentum is a measure of an object's motion in a straight line. In an elastic collision, it is the product of an object's mass and velocity, and is conserved before and after the collision.

2. How do you calculate linear momentum in an elastic collision?

To calculate linear momentum in an elastic collision, you need to know the mass and velocity of each object before and after the collision. You can then use the equation p = mv, where p is linear momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the objects bounce off of each other without any loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms, such as heat or sound.

4. Can linear momentum be negative in an elastic collision?

Yes, linear momentum can be negative in an elastic collision. This would happen if the objects have opposite directions of motion, resulting in opposite signs for their momenta.

5. What factors affect the linear momentum in an elastic collision?

The linear momentum in an elastic collision is affected by the masses and velocities of the objects involved. A higher mass or velocity would result in a higher linear momentum, while a lower mass or velocity would result in a lower linear momentum. The angle of collision and the elasticity of the objects also play a role in determining the linear momentum.