Solving equation involing radicals

• Thread starter issacnewton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radicals
In summary: But Mark, left side matches with the right side in the case of x=b. Extraneous solution means that, left side doesn't match with the right side. So I am little confused about my reasoning here.But Mark, left side matches with the right side in the case of x=b. Extraneous solution means that, left side doesn't match with the right side. So I am little confused about my reasoning here.The left and right sides DO match: \sqrt{a-x} + \sqrt{b-x} = \sqrt{a-b} + \sqrt{0
issacnewton

Homework Statement

Hello , I need to find the real number solutions for the following equation.
[tex]\sqrt{a-x} + \sqrt{b-x} = \sqrt{a+b-2x}[/tex]

where [itex]b>a>0[/itex]

Homework Equations

equation is given above

The Attempt at a Solution

I squared both sides and and solved this. I got two solutions [itex]x=a[/itex] and [itex]x=b[/itex]. Now when we square both sides of the equations, there is possibility of getting some solutions which may not satisfy the original equation. Such solutions are called extraneous solutions. When I plug in [itex]x=a[/itex] in the original equations, LHS matches with the RHS. So its one of the solution which is a real number. But when I plug in the other possible solution [itex]x=b[/itex] in the original equation, I get the following [itex]\sqrt{a-b} = \sqrt{a-b}[/itex]. Now here left side matches with the right side. But since [itex]b>a>0[/itex], both sides are not real number anymore, So is [itex]x=b[/itex] extraneous solution or is it the second possible solution ?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
IssacNewton said:

Homework Statement

Hello , I need to find the real number solutions for the following equation.
[tex]\sqrt{a-x} + \sqrt{b-x} = \sqrt{a+b-2x}[/tex]

where [itex]b>a>0[/itex]

Homework Equations

equation is given above

The Attempt at a Solution

I squared both sides and and solved this. I got two solutions [itex]x=a[/itex] and [itex]x=b[/itex]. Now when we square both sides of the equations, there is possibility of getting some solutions which may not satisfy the original equation. Such solutions are called extraneous solutions. When I plug in [itex]x=a[/itex] in the original equations, LHS matches with the RHS. So its one of the solution which is a real number. But when I plug in the other possible solution [itex]x=b[/itex] in the original equation, I get the following [itex]\sqrt{a-b} = \sqrt{a-b}[/itex]. Now here left side matches with the right side. But since [itex]b>a>0[/itex], both sides are not real number anymore, So is [itex]x=b[/itex] extraneous solution or is it the second possible solution ?

thanks
x = b is the extraneous solution for the reason you give.

But Mark, left side matches with the right side in the case of [itex]x=b[/itex]. Extraneous solution means that, left side doesn't match with the right side. So I am little confused about my reasoning here.

IssacNewton said:
But Mark, left side matches with the right side in the case of [itex]x=b[/itex]. Extraneous solution means that, left side doesn't match with the right side. So I am little confused about my reasoning here.

The left and right sides DO match:
[tex] \sqrt{a-x} + \sqrt{b-x} = \sqrt{a-b} + \sqrt{0} \; \text{when } \; x = b\\
\sqrt{a+b-2x} = \sqrt{a-b} \; \text{when } \; x = b
[/tex]

Ray, so is [itex]x=b[/itex] an extraneous solution or not ?

When x = b, a - b < 0, so ##\sqrt{a - b}## is imaginary. However, you do get a true statement when x = b, and b is a real number, so I guess I'll revise my earlier statement, and say that both a and b are solutions.

Ok thanks Mark. But it seems weird that to get the real solution, the equality ends up involving imaginary numbers...

If the solutions to both expressions (i.e. both sides of the equation) are meant to be real, then x=b would not be allowed. In other words, if we are restricting the domain of possible 'x' values to numbers for which the square root function (in this equation) gives a real number output, then 'b' would not be in that domain. I think it's not totally clear if you are meant to assume this or not.

edit: but most likely, x=b should be a solution too, since the problem statement is a bit vague on this.

thanks Bruce

Related to Solving equation involing radicals

What are radicals in an equation?

Radicals are mathematical symbols that indicate the root or fractional exponent of a number. They are represented by a radical sign (√) and are commonly seen in equations involving square roots, cube roots, etc.

What is the process for solving an equation involving radicals?

The process for solving an equation involving radicals is similar to solving any other equation. The key is to isolate the radical term on one side of the equation and then square both sides to eliminate the radical. Repeat this process until the radical term is completely eliminated and you are left with a solution for the variable.

What are some common mistakes made when solving equations involving radicals?

Some common mistakes when solving equations involving radicals include forgetting to square both sides of the equation, not simplifying the radical expression properly, and misinterpreting negative solutions as extraneous solutions. It is important to carefully follow the steps and always check your solutions to avoid these mistakes.

Are there any special rules for solving equations involving radicals?

Yes, there are a few special rules to keep in mind when solving equations involving radicals. One is that you cannot take the square root of a negative number in real numbers, so if the radical term results in a negative number, the equation has no real solutions. Another rule is that when taking the square root of both sides, you must include both the positive and negative square root on the other side of the equation.

Can equations involving radicals have multiple solutions?

Yes, equations involving radicals can have multiple solutions. This is because when you square both sides to eliminate the radical, you may introduce extraneous solutions. Extraneous solutions are solutions that satisfy the squared equation, but not the original equation. It is important to always check your solutions and eliminate any extraneous solutions.