Solving equation in natural number

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Natural
In summary, to solve an equation in natural numbers, you must find a positive integer value for the variable that satisfies the equation. Natural numbers are counting numbers starting at 1 and do not include negative numbers or zero. There are special rules to keep in mind when solving equations in natural numbers, such as only using positive integers and avoiding fractions or decimals. Not all equations can be solved using natural numbers, but it can be useful in real-life situations for budgeting, calculations, and developing problem-solving skills.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
What is the natural $y$ from $144+{{144}^{49}}+{{144}^{{{49}^{2}}}}+{{144}^{{{49}^{3}}}}+...+{{144}^{{{49}^{2018}}}}=3({{y}^{4038}}-1)$?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
y must be an odd number. Yippee! I got somewhere with it! (Sun)

I rewrote it into (what I think is) a simpler form but it tells me nothing. I'm going to be up all night trying to grok this one.

-Dan

Related to Solving equation in natural number

1. What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities. It typically contains variables, which are represented by letters, and constants, which are known values.

2. What are natural numbers?

Natural numbers are the positive whole numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.) and sometimes include 0, depending on the context. They are used to count and represent quantities in mathematics.

3. How do you solve an equation in natural numbers?

To solve an equation in natural numbers, you must perform operations on both sides of the equation until the variable is isolated on one side and the solution is on the other. This can involve addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

4. Can you give an example of solving an equation in natural numbers?

Sure, let's say we have the equation 2x + 5 = 17. To solve for x, we need to get rid of the constant 5 on the left side. We can do this by subtracting 5 from both sides, which gives us 2x = 12. Then, to isolate the variable x, we divide both sides by 2, giving us x = 6. Therefore, the solution to this equation in natural numbers is x = 6.

5. Are there any special rules for solving equations in natural numbers?

Yes, when solving equations in natural numbers, you cannot use negative numbers or fractions as solutions. You also cannot divide by 0. Additionally, you must ensure that the solution is a natural number, meaning it is a positive whole number (or 0) and not a decimal or fraction.