Solving Energy Work Problem: Joe's Car, 300N, 10000N, 200m, 3min

In summary, Joe moved his car 200 meters in 3.0 minutes using 300 Newtons of force. This work is equivalent to 60000 Joules.
cheerspens

Homework Statement

Joe exerts a force of 300 Newtons to move his car, which has run out of gas. How much work has he done if he moves the car 200 meters in 3.0 minutes?
Note that the car weighs 10000 Newtons.

Homework Equations

W=F[tex]\Delta[/tex]Xcos[tex]\theta[/tex]

W=work
F=force
[tex]\Delta[/tex]X=change in location
cos [tex]\theta[/tex]= cos of angle

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved similar problems by plugging in the force given but I do not know how the weight of the car plays into solving the problem. I know that there is no angle so you just do the cos of zero which is one and delta x would be 200m.
So what my main question is, as I stated before, is how the weight of the car comes into solving the problem and also the 3 minutes?

Physics news on Phys.org
cheerspens said:

Homework Statement

Joe exerts a force of 300 Newtons to move his car, which has run out of gas. How much work has he done if he moves the car 200 meters in 3.0 minutes?
Note that the car weighs 10000 Newtons.

Homework Equations

W=F[tex]\Delta[/tex]Xcos[tex]\theta[/tex]

W=work
F=force
[tex]\Delta[/tex]X=change in location
cos [tex]\theta[/tex]= cos of angle

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved similar problems by plugging in the force given but I do not know how the weight of the car plays into solving the problem. I know that there is no angle so you just do the cos of zero which is one and delta x would be 200m.
So what my main question is, as I stated before, is how the weight of the car comes into solving the problem and also the 3 minutes?
Using your correct definition of work, maybe they don't?

Well in that case you get an answer of 60000 Joules?

cheerspens said:
Well in that case you get an answer of 60000 Joules?

Yes!

Much simpler than I made it out to be. Thank you!

Related to Solving Energy Work Problem: Joe's Car, 300N, 10000N, 200m, 3min

1. How can I calculate the work done by Joe's car?

To calculate the work done by Joe's car, we can use the formula W = F x d, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, and d is the distance traveled. In this case, we have a force of 300N and a distance of 200m, so the work done by Joe's car would be 60,000 joules.

2. What is the unit of measurement for work?

The unit of measurement for work is joules (J). Other common units include kilojoules (kJ) and calories (cal).

3. How do I convert the given time of 3 minutes to seconds?

To convert minutes to seconds, we can use the conversion factor of 60 seconds per 1 minute. Therefore, 3 minutes is equal to 180 seconds.

4. Can we use the given information to calculate the power of Joe's car?

Yes, we can use the formula P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time. With the given information, we can calculate the power of Joe's car to be 3333.33 watts (or 3.33 kilowatts).

5. How does the direction of the force affect the work done?

The direction of the force does not affect the work done. Work is a scalar quantity and is only dependent on the magnitude of the force and the distance traveled, not the direction of the force.