Solving Electric Field Strength at Aircraft in Cloud: 1.03357e8 + 2.64009e9

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the strength of the electric field at an airplane flying through a cloud. The top of the cloud is at a height of 4100M with a temperature of 23 C, while the bottom is at a height of 500m with a temperature of -47 C. Using Coulomb's Law, the electric field strength at the top of the cloud is calculated to be 1.03357e8, while the bottom is calculated to be 2.64009e9. However, it is important to note that the distance should be squared and parentheses should be used accurately in the calculation.
Spectre32
AN airplane is flying through a cloud. The airplane is at 2100M and the top height of the cloud is 4100M @ 23 C. The bottem of the cloud is 500m @-47 C. What is the strength of the electric field E at the aircraft.

Now I broke it up into to parts, for the top of the cloud and the bottem.

Top of the cloud:

Using coulumbs law: 8.98755 x 10^9* 23/ 4100-2100) = 1.03357e8

Bottem of the cloud:

8.98775 x 10^9 * 47/ 2100-500 = 2.64009e9

I added both of those up and i submited my answer and it said it was wrong. Can anyone aid me?

Physics news on Phys.org
The distance should be squared.

Also, make sure you put your parentheses in the right place. I assume that you are actually typing the numbers into your calculator correctly, but just be careful.

8.98775 * 10^9 * 47 / 2100 - 500

is not the same as

(8.98775 * 10^9 * 47) / (2100 - 500)

- Warren

Originally posted by Spectre32

I added both of those up and i submited my answer and it said it was wrong. Can anyone aid me?
Assuming that the charged clouds can be treated as point sources of the electric field: use [itex]E=\frac{kq}{r^2}[/itex]. (You forgot to square your distances.)

crap... wow I'm so retarded thanks a lot doc

Related to Solving Electric Field Strength at Aircraft in Cloud: 1.03357e8 + 2.64009e9

1. What is the purpose of solving for electric field strength at aircraft in a cloud?

The purpose of solving for electric field strength at aircraft in a cloud is to understand the potential risks and hazards for aircraft in a thunderstorm or other weather conditions. This information can help pilots make informed decisions and take necessary precautions to ensure the safety of their flight.

2. How is the electric field strength calculated in this scenario?

The electric field strength is calculated using the formula E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force exerted on a charge, and q is the magnitude of the charge. In this scenario, the values of 1.03357e8 and 2.64009e9 represent the force and charge, respectively.

3. What units are used to measure electric field strength?

Electric field strength is typically measured in volts per meter (V/m) or newtons per coulomb (N/C).

4. What factors can affect the electric field strength at aircraft in a cloud?

The electric field strength at aircraft in a cloud can be affected by the strength and direction of the electric field within the cloud, the size and shape of the aircraft, and the conductivity of the aircraft's materials.

5. How can pilots use the calculated electric field strength to ensure their safety during a flight in a storm?

Pilots can use the calculated electric field strength to determine the potential for electrical discharges and take necessary precautions such as avoiding certain areas of the storm, maintaining a safe distance from other aircraft, and using anti-static devices. Additionally, pilots can use this information to make informed decisions about whether to continue the flight or divert to a safer location.