Solving e^z=w in Polar Form | Abs(right hand side)=2 without ln 2 in Solution

• Thread starter Dousin12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
So, summarizing:" In summary, the original poster wanted to simplify $$2e^z=\sqrt{2}+i\sqrt{2}\\e^z=\frac{\sqrt{2}+i\sqrt{2}}{2}$$ , in which the rhs was expressed in polar form. The argument (angle) was correctly determined as pi/4, but the absolute value of the rhs was incorrectly stated as 2, instead of sqrt(2). The original poster asked why the natural logarithm of 2 (ln 2) was not included in the solution."
Dousin12

Homework Statement

$$2e^z=\sqrt{2}+i\sqrt{2}\\e^z=\frac{\sqrt{2}+i\sqrt{2}}{2} $$
Then i write the right side as polar form and the abs(right hand side)=2 , and then multiplied with an angle. But in the answer there is only pi/4*i. which is the angle i get, but since the abs(right hand side)=2, why isn't there a "ln 2" in the solution?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dousin12 said:

Homework Statement

[ tex ] 2e^z=\sqrt{2}+i\sqrt{2}\\e^z=\frac{\sqrt{2}+i\sqrt{2}}{2}\\ [ /tex ]
Then i write the right side as polar form and the abs(right hand side)=2 , and then multiplied with an angle. But in the answer there is only pi/4*i. which is the angle i get, but since the abs(right hand side)=2, why isn't there a "ln 2" in the solution?

Please write your TeX/LaTeX properly; I have fixed up the above and have obtained
[tex] 2e^z=\sqrt{2}+i\sqrt{2}\\e^z=\frac{\sqrt{2}+i\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex]
Anyway, the absolute value of the rhs is not 2.

Mod note: I fixed the contents of the original post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i saw when i went to bed, :D My bad. I wrote wrong on the calculator

Btw how do i write latex properly? I can't figure out how to do it!

Dousin12 said:
Yeah i saw when i went to bed, :D My bad. I wrote wrong on the calculator

Btw how do i write latex properly? I can't figure out how to do it!
If you right click on the equations Ray posted you should see an option to display the latex.

2e^z=\sqrt{2}+i\sqrt{2}\\e^z=\frac{\sqrt{2}+i\sqrt{2}}{2}

this is what i see,

HOw to i get it to be latex? I thought just write [tex] on both sides?

Dousin12 said:

this is what i see,

You need [/tex] to terminate it.
[tex]2e^z=\sqrt{2}+i\sqrt{2}\\e^z=\frac{\sqrt{2}+i\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex]

Dousin12 said:

this is what i see,

In your original submission (still echoed in the panel above my response) you will see that you used "[ tex ] some math [ /tex ]". The spaces you inserted inside [...] were a mistake: you should have "[t..x] some math [/t..x]" , where '..' means 'e'. The rest of your expression was perfectly OK.

Related to Solving e^z=w in Polar Form | Abs(right hand side)=2 without ln 2 in Solution

1. What is the "e^z=w" form in an equation?

The "e^z=w" form in an equation is known as the exponential form. It is a mathematical expression where "e" represents the mathematical constant, 2.71828, and "z" and "w" are variables.

2. How is the "e^z=w" form related to the natural logarithm?

The "e^z=w" form is closely related to the natural logarithm, ln(x). In fact, the inverse of the exponential function, e^x, is the natural logarithm. The "e^z=w" form can also be rewritten as z = ln(w).

3. What are the properties of the "e^z=w" form?

The "e^z=w" form has several important properties. Firstly, any number raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1. Secondly, any number raised to the power of 1 is equal to itself. Lastly, e raised to any power is always a positive number.

4. How is the "e^z=w" form used in science and engineering?

The "e^z=w" form is commonly used in science and engineering to model exponential growth and decay, as well as to solve differential equations. It is also used in complex analysis and in the study of electrical circuits.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the "e^z=w" form?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of the "e^z=w" form. It is used in finance to calculate compound interest, in population growth models, and in physics to describe radioactive decay. It is also used in computer science for data compression and in signal processing for noise reduction.