Solving Dynamics of Rod A & Wedge B with Negligible Friction

• Thread starter sArGe99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the Homework statement is trying to find the acceleration of the rod and the wedge in an arrangement where the ratio of the mass of the wedge to that of the rod is equal to \eta. The friction between all contact surfaces is negligible.
sArGe99

Homework Statement

th_untitled1.jpg

Find out the acceleration of the rod A and the wedge B in the arrangement if the ratio of mass of the wedge to that of the rod equals [tex]\eta[/tex], and the friction between all contact surfaces is negligible

Homework Equations

Mass of rod = m, Mass of wedge = M

mg - [tex]N cos \alpha[/tex] = ma, downwards

The Attempt at a Solution

Normal reaction is perpendicular the wedge surface and I don't know if it has a component that can accelerate the wedge to the right. If the force is moving to the left, surely the wedge can't be accelerated to the left.

I need to know which force accelerates the wedge to the right. I'm thinking that the normal reaction has the component [tex]N sin \alpha[/tex] directed to the left.
If I knew which component of force was directed to the right, I could solve the remaining part of it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Someone, please?

Welcome to PF!

sArGe99 said:
Find out the acceleration of the rod A and the wedge B in the arrangement if the ratio of mass of the wedge to that of the rod equals [tex]\eta[/tex], and the friction between all contact surfaces is negligible

Hi sArGe99! Welcome to PF! :smile:

conservation of energy? :wink:

Yes. I did try that out. Don't think I have got enough information to use that.

Normal reaction acts perpendicular to the wedge surface. Is that right, in this case?
I think that is where I might have gone wrong.

sArGe99 said:
Yes. I did try that out. Don't think I have got enough information to use that.

Yes you have …

try again (use x and x', where x is horizontal displacement), and show us what you get :smile:

I think the kinematic relationship is Distance moved by Rod / Distance moved by wedge = tan (alpha)?

just woke up :zzz: …
sArGe99 said:
I think the kinematic relationship is Distance moved by Rod / Distance moved by wedge = tan (alpha)?

You know it is …

get on with it!

Oh.. I could do with this one, I guess.
It can be solved using force equations, right? I actually wanted to try that method out first.

Related to Solving Dynamics of Rod A & Wedge B with Negligible Friction

1. How do you define the dynamics of a rod and wedge with negligible friction?

The dynamics of a rod and wedge with negligible friction refer to the study of the motion and forces involved when a rod is placed on top of a wedge and allowed to slide down with minimal resistance from friction.

2. What factors affect the motion of the rod and wedge system?

The motion of the rod and wedge system is affected by several factors, including the mass and shape of the rod and wedge, the angle of inclination of the wedge, the initial velocity of the rod, and the presence of any external forces such as gravity or air resistance.

3. How do you solve for the acceleration of the rod and wedge system?

To solve for the acceleration of the rod and wedge system, you can use the laws of motion, specifically Newton's second law (F=ma). This involves calculating the net force acting on the system and dividing it by the total mass to determine the acceleration.

4. What is the significance of negligible friction in this system?

Negligible friction is significant in this system because it allows us to simplify the calculations and focus on the fundamental principles of motion and forces. In real-world scenarios, friction would play a major role in the dynamics of the system and would need to be taken into account.

5. Can this system be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the dynamics of a rod and wedge with negligible friction have practical applications in various fields, such as engineering and physics. For example, it can be used to study the motion of objects on inclined planes or to design machines that utilize wedges and rods in their mechanisms.