Solving Drumhead PDE: Normal Modes and Estimation Techniques

• Thread starter spock0149
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the differential equation for a normal mode with a drumskin of radius a and small transverse oscillations of amplitude, using the polar coordinate version of nabla. The suggested trial function is a^{\nu}-\rho^{\nu} with \nu as an adjustable parameter, and the solution involves using Bessel's equation of order zero. The conversation also explores finding an estimate for the lowest normal mode frequency using the trial function and discusses the validity of the solution.
spock0149
I've searched through about 5 math books but don't know how to start this one:

I have a drumskin of radius a, and small transverse oscillations of amplitude:

[tex] \nabla^2 z = \frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial^2 z }{dt^2} [/tex]

Ok, so I can write the normal mode as
[tex]z=Z(\rho)cos(\omega t) [/tex]

Questions:

1) If I want to find the differential equation for [tex]z=Z(\rho) [/tex], do I just plug the second equation into the first, but use the polar coordinate version of nabla?

2) If I want to obtain an estimate for the lowest normal mode frequency using a trial function of form [tex]a^{\nu}-\rho^{\nu}[/tex] with [tex]\nu[/tex] an adjustable parameter...where do I start?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Answer to #1 is yes, one needs the polar version of nabla.

It's been decades since I solved this problem, so I have to refresh my memory on it's solution, but one should get a Bessel's function, J(r), IIRC, and one looks for the first zero for the fundamental mode.

Thanks astronuc! The polar version works out nicely.

I'm still not sure how to use the trial function. Is the suggested trial function something I should use as z and plug into the equation?

Thanks!

:)

Ok, so writing out nabla in polar I get:

[tex]\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial}{\partial \rho}(\rho \frac{\partial z }{\partial \rho})+\frac{1}{\rho^2} \frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial \phi^2}+\frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial t^2} = \frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial t^2}[/tex]

I am trying to find a normal mode independant of azimuthal angle which is why I let the phi derivative go to zero.

after some re-arranging I get:

[tex]\rho^2 Z''+\rho Z'+\rho^2 \omega^2(\frac{1}{c^2}-1)Z=0[/tex]

now, this kind of looks like Bessels equation, except the last term should look like [tex](\rho^2-\nu^2)Z[/tex]

with [tex]\nu[/tex] some real number

I can't quite make the jump from my equation to Bessels...can someone give me any ideas?

Thanks!

spock0149 said:
I am trying to find a normal mode independant of azimuthal angle which is why I let the phi derivative go to zero.
Yes, this is fine. The assumes no azimuthal dependency.

spock0149 said:
Ok, so writing out nabla in polar I get:

[tex]\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial}{\partial \rho}(\rho \frac{\partial z }{\partial \rho})+\frac{1}{\rho^2} \frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial \phi^2}+\frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial t^2} = \frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial t^2}[/tex]
The temporal term on the left side is not correct. Nabla is spatial only. So, the correct equation should be,

[tex]\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial}{\partial \rho}(\rho \frac{\partial z }{\partial \rho})\, =\, \frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial t^2}[/tex]

Now we can try a trial function, [tex]Z(\rho)\,T(t)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial}{\partial \rho}(\rho \frac{\partial (Z(\rho)\,T(t)) }{\partial \rho})\, =\, \frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial^2 (Z(\rho)\,T(t))}{\partial t^2}[/tex]

which then yields

[tex]\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial}{\partial \rho}(\rho \frac{\partial Z(\rho) }{\partial \rho})T(t)\,=\,\frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial^2 T(t)}{\partial t^2}Z(\rho)[/tex].

Dividing through by [tex]Z(\rho)\,T(t)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial}{\partial \rho}(\rho \frac{\partial Z(\rho) }{\partial \rho})\,\frac{1}{Z(\rho)}\,=\,\frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial^2 T(t)}{\partial t^2}\,\frac{1}{T(t)} = -\lambda^2[/tex]

which then give two equations.

[tex]\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{d}{d \rho}(\rho \frac{d Z(\rho) }{d \rho})\,\frac{1}{Z(\rho)}\,=\, -\lambda^2[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{1}{c^2}\frac{d^2 T(t)}{dt^2}\,\frac{1}{T(t)} = -\lambda^2[/tex]

The second equation can be written

[tex]\frac{d^2 T(t)}{dt^2}\,+\,\omega^2\,T(t)\,=\,0[/tex]

and the other equation can be written as

[tex]\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{d}{d \rho}(\rho \frac{d Z(\rho) }{d \rho})\,\frac{1}{Z(\rho)}\,=\, -\lambda^2[/tex]

which becomes

[tex]\frac{d}{d \rho}(\rho \frac{d Z(\rho) }{d \rho})\,+\,{\rho}\lambda^2\,Z(\rho)\,=\,0[/tex]

The last equation should simplify to

[tex]\rho^2 Z''+\rho Z'+\rho^2 \lambda^2Z\,=\,0[/tex]

Then letting [tex] x\,=\lambda\rho[/tex]

One can write

[tex]x^2 Z''(x)\,+\,x Z'(x)\,+\,x^2Z\,=\,0[/tex]

which is Bessel's equation of order zero.

Last edited:
mmmmm...lovely. :)

Thanks astronuc. Thanks for pointing out that the nabla term was spatial only. I 'knew' that...but obviously it didn't surface from the deep cobwebs of my brain! I probably would have been stumped on this for ages without that!

The solutions makes a lot of sense. I saw that you used separation of variables and Bessels equation came out nicely!

Thanks again.

PS - cool beard!

Thanks again for the help.

Now, I have to find an estimate for the lowest normal more using the adjustable parameter:

[tex]a^\nu-\rho^\nu[/tex]

Here is my effort, please tell me what you think:

Our equation reads:

[tex]\rho^2 Z'' + \rho Z'+\rho\frac{\omega^2}{c^2}Z=0[/tex]

Let: [tex]Z=a^\nu-\rho^\nu[/tex]
So,
[tex]Z'=-\nu\rho^{\nu-1}[/tex]
and
[tex]Z''=-\nu^2\rho^{\nu-1}[/tex]

Plugging into our original equation we get:

[tex]-\nu^2\rho^2\rho^{\nu-2}-\rho\nu\rho^{\nu-1}+\rho^2\frac{\omega^2}{c^2}(a^\nu - \rho^\nu)=0[/tex]

...some lines of algebra...

[tex]\omega=\sqrt\frac{\rho^{\nu-2}c^2\nu(\nu+1)}{a^\nu-\rho^\nu}[/tex]

Is this the correct way to get the normal mode? It makes sense to me but seems like its a little to simple.

Last edited:
anyone care to take a stab?

Related to Solving Drumhead PDE: Normal Modes and Estimation Techniques

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE (partial differential equation) is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used to describe physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are normal modes in the context of drumhead PDE?

Normal modes refer to the specific patterns of vibration that a drumhead can exhibit when struck. In the context of PDE, they are the different ways in which the drumhead can oscillate, each with a unique frequency and amplitude.

3. How are normal modes of a drumhead PDE calculated?

The normal modes can be calculated by solving the drumhead PDE using separation of variables. This involves separating the equation into simpler sub-equations for each variable and then finding the solutions that satisfy all the sub-equations simultaneously.

4. What are estimation techniques used for in solving drumhead PDE?

Estimation techniques are used to approximate the solutions of a PDE when an analytical solution is not possible. They involve using numerical methods, such as finite differences or finite elements, to discretize the PDE and solve it on a computer.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving drumhead PDE?

The solutions of drumhead PDE have applications in various fields, including acoustics, structural engineering, and seismology. For example, they can be used to understand the vibrations of musical instruments, the behavior of bridges under wind or earthquake loads, and the propagation of seismic waves through the Earth's crust.