Solving Dipole in a Sphere: Charge Distribution on Sphere's Surface

In summary: Superposition. There is a relationship between surface charge density and the normal component of the electric field that it generates. The dipole will also generate an electric field with a component normal to the sphere. You want the field of your surface charge to cancel the field for the dipole.It is as you say: the surface charge density depends only on the polar angle.To find the field due to the dipole, you can either look it up, or do a limit as a -> 0 and qa = constant, where a is the separation between two equal and opposite charges, q and -q.Hi,thanks for the answer.The normal component of the dipole field isE_r
Jonas Rist
Hi,

I have problems solving this:
Given: A sphere(Radius R) with a mathematical dipole in its center. I have to find the charge distribution on the sphere´s surface,

[tex] \sigma(r,\phi,\theta) [/tex]

so that the resulting potential is zero for r>R. I think that
[tex] \sigma(r,\phi,\theta)=\sigma(\theta) [/tex]
,but I have no idea how to find this special charge distribution(I suppose it is unique). I know the electric field of a dipole, but that doesn´t help much.
If anybody has an idea, please tell me!
Greets
Jonas

Physics news on Phys.org
Superposition. There is a relationship between surface charge density and the normal component of the electric field that it generates. The dipole will also generate an electric field with a component normal to the sphere. You want the field of your surface charge to cancel the field for the dipole.

It is as you say: the surface charge density depends only on the polar angle.

To find the field due to the dipole, you can either look it up, or do a limit as a -> 0 and qa = constant, where a is the separation between two equal and opposite charges, q and -q.

Hi,

thanks for the answer.
The normal component of the dipole field is
[tex] E_r=\frac{qd 2 cos(\theta)}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r^3} [/tex]
So I thought of choosing

[tex] \sigma(\theta)=-\frac{qd 2 cos(\theta)}{4\pi R^3} [/tex]

then the normal component should be canceled out according to the following law:

[tex] n(E_o-E_i)=\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0} [/tex]

where E_o is the normal component outside(=0) and E_i the normal component inside. n is the unit normal vector.

But one professor of our university solved this problem too and he has the following result:

[tex] \sigma(\theta)=-\frac{qd 3 cos(\theta)}{4\pi R^3} [/tex]

He has a 3 instead of a 2, so my solution seems to be wrong.
So I´m still confused:(
Jonas

Last edited by a moderator:
The dipole moment of a sphere with radius R and a dipole charge distribution of C0=D0 * cos(theta) is (4pi/3)(R**3)D0. (this follows from the standard integral for a dipole moment) If this is to be equal and opposite to the original dipole moment, p0, then

D0 = p0 (3/4pi)/R**3

So the 3 is correct.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

Ok, thanks!

I see now that my first way to solve the problem was wrong.
Ciao
Jonas

Jonas -- Sorry , I fogot the minus sign in the sphere's dipole moment. RA

No prob,
I got the idea of your solution, so I noticed that on my own.
Jonas

Related to Solving Dipole in a Sphere: Charge Distribution on Sphere's Surface

1. What is a dipole in a sphere?

A dipole in a sphere refers to a system in which there are two equal and opposite charges present on the surface of a spherical object, creating an electric dipole moment.

2. How is the charge distribution on a sphere's surface determined?

The charge distribution on a sphere's surface is determined by solving the Laplace equation, which takes into account the boundary conditions and the symmetry of the system. This results in a unique solution for the charge distribution on the surface.

3. What factors affect the charge distribution on a sphere's surface?

The charge distribution on a sphere's surface is affected by the magnitude and location of the charges, as well as the dielectric constant of the surrounding medium.

4. Can the charge distribution on a sphere's surface be changed?

Yes, the charge distribution on a sphere's surface can be changed by altering the location or magnitude of the charges, or by changing the surrounding medium.

5. What is the significance of solving dipole in a sphere?

Solving dipole in a sphere is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and charges in a spherical system. It is also useful in various applications such as in the design of spherical capacitors and in studying the properties of biological cells.