Solving Differential Eqn to Test Paratrooper Account

In summary: Hence, the paratrooper would have to fall for approximately 12.44 seconds to reach 1200 ft, which is longer than the reported time of 8 seconds. Therefore, the newspaper account may not be accurate. In summary, the question presents a scenario in which a paratrooper allegedly survived a training jump from 1200 ft after his parachute failed to open. The newspaper account claims that he hit the ground at 100 mph after falling for 8 seconds due to the unopened parachute providing air resistance. By using the equation for drag and assuming a terminal velocity of 100 mph, we can solve for the time required to fall 1200 ft. The calculation yields a time of approximately 12.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Differential Equation Help Please?

According to a newspaper account, a paratrooper survived a training jump from 1200 ft when his parachute failed to open but provided some air resistance by flapping unopened in the wind. Allegedly he hit the ground at 100 mph after falling for 8 seconds. Test the accuracy of this account. (Suggestion: Find p(rho) in Equation 4 by assuming a terminal velocity of 100mph. Then calculate the time required to fall 1200 ft.)

And Equation 4: dv/dt= -pv-g where p= the greek symbol rho.

I'm trying to solve this question as a review for my upcoming exam, but I'm not sure how to do this or approach this question. Please show step by step and explain. Thank you.

I have posted a link to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Music Freak,

I believe there to be a typo in your statement of "equation 4."

I would begin with Newton's second law of motion:

\(\displaystyle ma=F\)

Since acceleration $a$ is defined to be the time rate of change of velocity $v$, we may write:

\(\displaystyle m\frac{dv}{dt}=F\)

We have two forces acting on the paratrooper...the force of gravity and drag, which we are told is proportional to his velocity. The force of gravity is in the same direction as his velocity (both are in the downward direction), which the force of drag, opposing the motion, points upwards, hence:

\(\displaystyle m\frac{dv}{dt}=mg-kv\)

where $0<k$ is called the coefficient of drag. Now, if we divide through by the mass of the paratrooper, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dv}{dt}=g-\frac{k}{m}v\)

If we define \(\displaystyle \rho=\frac{k}{m}\) then we may write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dv}{dt}=g-\rho v\) where \(\displaystyle v(0)=v_0\)

Writing the ODE in linear form, we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dv}{dt}+\rho v=g\)

Computing the integrating factor, there results:

\(\displaystyle \mu(t)=e^{\rho\int\,dt}=e^{\rho t}\)

and so the ODE becomes, after multiplying through by this factor:

\(\displaystyle e^{\rho t}\frac{dv}{dt}+\rho e^{\rho t}v=ge^{\rho t}\)

Now, the left side may be expressed as the derivative of a product:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dt}\left(e^{\rho t}v \right)=ge^{\rho t}\)

Integrating with respect to $t$, we have:

\(\displaystyle \int\,d\left(e^{\rho t}v \right)=g\int e^{\rho t}\,dt\)

\(\displaystyle e^{\rho t}v=\frac{g}{\rho}e^{\rho t}+C\)

Dividing through by $e^{\rho t}$, we obtain the general solution:

\(\displaystyle v(t)=\frac{g}{\rho}+Ce^{-\rho t}\)

Using the initial condition, we may determine the value of the parameter $C$:

\(\displaystyle v(0)=\frac{g}{\rho}+C=v_0\,\therefore\,C=v_0-\frac{g}{\rho}\)

and so the solution to the IVP is:

\(\displaystyle v(t)=\frac{g}{\rho}+\left(v_0-\frac{g}{\rho} \right)e^{-\rho t}\)

Now, it is easy to see that the terminal velocity is:

\(\displaystyle v_{\max}=\lim_{t\to\infty}v(t)=\frac{g}{\rho}\)

Thus, we may state the solution as:

\(\displaystyle v(t)=v_{\max}+\left(v_0-v_{\max} \right)e^{-\frac{g}{v_{\max}} t}\)

Next, using the fact that the time rate of change of position (or distance fallen at time $t$ which we'll call $x(t)$) is velocity, we have the IVP:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dx}{dt}=v(t)=v_{\max}+\left(v_0-v_{\max} \right)e^{-\frac{g}{v_{\max}} t}\) where \(\displaystyle x(0)=x_0\)

Treating $dx$ and $dt$ as differentials, we may separate variables to obtain:

\(\displaystyle dx=\left(v_{\max}+\left(v_0-v_{\max} \right)e^{-\frac{g}{v_{\max}} t} \right)\,dt\)

\(\displaystyle \int\,dx=\int v_{\max}+\left(v_0-v_{\max} \right)e^{-\frac{g}{v_{\max}} t}\,dt\)

\(\displaystyle x(t)=v_{\max}t+\frac{v_{\max}\left(v_{\max}-v_0 \right)}{g}e^{-\frac{g}{v_{\max}} t}+C\)

Using the initial condition, we may determine the value of the parameter $C$:

\(\displaystyle x(0)=\frac{v_{\max}\left(v_{\max}-v_0 \right)}{g}+C=x_0\,\therefore\,C=x_0-\frac{v_{\max}\left(v_{\max}-v_0 \right)}{g}\)

and so the solution to the IVP is:

\(\displaystyle x(t)=v_{\max}t+\frac{v_{\max}\left(v_{\max}-v_0 \right)}{g}e^{-\frac{g}{v_{\max}} t}+x_0-\frac{v_{\max}\left(v_{\max}-v_0 \right)}{g}\)

\(\displaystyle x(t)=v_{\max}t+\frac{v_{\max}\left(v_{\max}-v_0 \right)}{g}\left(e^{-\frac{g}{v_{\max}} t}-1 \right)+x_0\)

Now, if we use:

\(\displaystyle v_0=0\frac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}}\)

\(\displaystyle x_0=0\text{ ft}\)

\(\displaystyle v_{\max}=100\frac{\text{mi}}{\text{hr}}\cdot\frac{5280\text{ft}}{1\text{ mi}}\cdot\frac{1\text{ hr}}{3600\text{ s}}=\frac{440}{3}\,\frac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{g}{v_{\max}}=\frac{32.17405\dfrac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}^2}}{\dfrac{440}{3}\, \dfrac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}}}=\frac{1930443}{8800000}\,\frac{1}{\text{s}}\)

\(\displaystyle t=8\text{ s}\)

We then have:

\(\displaystyle x\left(8\text{ s} \right)=\left(\frac{440}{3}\,\frac{\text{ft}}{ \text{s}} \right)\left(8\text{ s} \right)+\frac{\left(\dfrac{440}{3}\,\dfrac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}} \right)^2}{\dfrac{643481}{20000}\,\dfrac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}^2}}\left(e^{-\left(\dfrac{1930443}{8800000}\,\dfrac{1}{\text{s}} \right)\left(8\text{ s} \right)}-1 \right)\)

\(\displaystyle x\left(8\text{ s} \right)=\left(\frac{3520}{3}+\frac{38720000000}{57911329}\left(e^{-\dfrac{1930443}{1100000}}-1 \right) \right)\text{ ft}\approx620.338173295040\text{ ft}\)

So, after 8 seconds, the paratrooper would have fallen only about 620 ft. To find the time required to fall 1200 ft, we may set:

\(\displaystyle x(t)=1200\text{ft}\)

\(\displaystyle 1200\text{ ft}=\left(\frac{440}{3}\,\frac{\text{ft}}{ \text{s}} \right)\left(t\text{ s} \right)+\frac{\left(\dfrac{440}{3}\,\dfrac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}} \right)^2}{\dfrac{643481}{20000}\,\dfrac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}^2}}\left(e^{-\left(\dfrac{1930443}{8800000}\,\dfrac{1}{\text{s}} \right)\left(t\text{ s} \right)}-1 \right)\)

Using a numeric root finding technique, since we cannot solve for $t$ explicitly, we find:

\(\displaystyle t\approx12.442929881626764089\text{ s}\)

Nicely done! Any day now you will find yourself saying "Math isn't fun any more. I wish I did Physics."

-Dan

topsquark said:
Nicely done! Any day now you will find yourself saying "Math isn't fun any more. I wish I did Physics."

-Dan

I have always enjoyed applied math...especially classical physics. (Sun)

MarkFL said:
I have always enjoyed applied math...especially classical physics. (Sun)
As do I. Over the past few years I've been drifting closer and closer to Mathematical Physics rather than strictly QM. I've had to learn a heck of a lot of Math outside the usual Physics menu to do QFT. Or maybe it's trying to get a date with Flo. I can't tell the difference any more.

-Dan

topsquark said:
As do I. Over the past few years I've been drifting closer and closer to Mathematical Physics rather than strictly QM. I've had to learn a heck of a lot of Math outside the usual Physics menu to do QFT. Or maybe it's trying to get a date with Flo. I can't tell the difference any more.

-Dan

Mathematical Physics is where the action is. I would argue that's where the action always has been. Think about it. What are the great unsolved problems in physics? One of the biggies is a firm theoretical foundation for the SM. No mathematician yet has been able to provide a rigorous definition of the Feynman path integral. Or think about the Navier-Stokes equation.

The biggest unsolved problem, I'll admit, is not directly mathematical in nature: reconcile the SM with gravity to achieve a ToE. But no doubt there'll be plenty of mathematics involved there as well.

Related to Solving Differential Eqn to Test Paratrooper Account

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It describes how a system changes over time and is often used to model physical phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is a differential equation solved?

There are various techniques for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. The specific method used depends on the type and complexity of the equation.

3. Why is solving differential equations important in testing paratrooper accounts?

Differential equations are used to model and analyze complex systems, including the motion of objects in freefall. In the case of paratroopers, solving differential equations can help determine the optimal deployment of parachutes and ensure the safety of the soldiers during their descent.

4. Can differential equations be solved analytically or numerically?

Yes, differential equations can be solved using both analytical and numerical methods. Analytical solutions involve finding an exact formula for the function, while numerical solutions use approximations and algorithms to calculate an approximate solution.

5. Are there any software programs that can solve differential equations?

Yes, there are many software programs available that can solve differential equations, such as Matlab, Mathematica, and Maple. These programs use powerful algorithms to solve complex equations and provide accurate numerical solutions.