Solving Coupled ODEs with Boundary Conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses a system of coupled ODEs with constants lambda and v, and boundary conditions provided. The goal is to find a way to reduce it to a single 6th order equation or a 6 by 6 first order system. The speaker also asks for book recommendations to help with similar problems.
Madz
Hi,

Can anyone please tell me how to go about solving this system of coupled ODEs.?

1) (-)(lambda) + vH''' = -2HH' +(H')^2 - G^2
2) vG'' = 2H'G - 2G'H

lambda and v are constants.
And the boundary conditions given are
H(0) = H(d) = 0
H'(0) = omega * ( c1 * H''(0) + c2 * H'''(0) )
G(0) = omega * ( 1 + c1*G'(0) + c2*G''(0) )
H'(d) = omega * ( c3 * H''(d) + c4 * H'''(d) )
G(d) = omega * ( c3 * G'(d) + c4 * G''(d) )
... c1,c2,c3,c4,omega are constants

-Maddy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ouch. This should probably be tidied up..
Is this what you meant? :D
[tex]-\lambda + v\frac{d^3 H}{dt^3} = -2H\frac{dH}{dt} + (\frac{dH}{dt})^2 - G^2[/tex]
[tex]v\frac{d^2 G}{dt^2} = 2\frac{dH}{dt}G - 2\frac{dG}{dt}H[/tex]

Yep,thats right:)

Wicked! That can be reduced to a single 6th order equation or a 6 by 6 first order system.

Oh..How do we do it? It would also be great if you could suggest me some good book that would help me with such problems.Thanks:)

Madz said:
Oh..How do we do it? It would also be great if you could suggest me some good book that would help me with such problems.Thanks:)

Just substitute the value for [tex]\frac{dH}{dt}[/tex] and then [tex]\frac{d^3H}{dt^3}[/tex] (by diff twice) from the second equation to the first.

Related to Solving Coupled ODEs with Boundary Conditions

1. What are coupled ODEs?

Coupled ODEs (Ordinary Differential Equations) refer to a system of two or more equations where the variables and their derivatives are dependent on each other. In other words, the equations are linked together and cannot be solved independently.

2. What are boundary conditions in the context of solving coupled ODEs?

Boundary conditions are additional constraints that are applied to the solutions of coupled ODEs in order to get a unique solution. They specify the values of the dependent variables at certain points, typically at the boundaries of the problem domain.

3. How do I solve coupled ODEs with boundary conditions?

There are different methods for solving coupled ODEs with boundary conditions, such as shooting method, finite difference method, and finite element method. These methods involve breaking down the problem into smaller parts and using numerical techniques to approximate the solutions.

4. What is the significance of solving coupled ODEs with boundary conditions?

Solving coupled ODEs with boundary conditions is important in various scientific and engineering fields, as it allows us to model and understand complex systems with multiple variables and constraints. This can help us make predictions and improve the design and performance of various systems.

5. Are there any challenges in solving coupled ODEs with boundary conditions?

Yes, there can be challenges in solving coupled ODEs with boundary conditions, especially when the equations are nonlinear or when the boundary conditions are complex. It may also be difficult to find an analytical solution, and numerical methods may be required. Additionally, small errors in the boundary conditions can lead to significant errors in the solution, so careful consideration and validation of the boundary conditions is important.