Solving Coulomb Barrier Penetrability with a Confusing Formula

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of finding the probability of protons penetrating the Coulomb barrier. The person was struggling to understand an example in their notes and had trouble using the formula to get the correct answer. They were eventually able to solve the problem by dividing first, then taking the square root, adding in the minus sign, and finally taking the exponential.
daleklama

Homework Statement

There isn't an exact problem I'm struggling with, it's one small part of a larger problem, which involves finding the probability protons will penetrate the Coulomb barrier.

I'm trying to understand an example in my notes, and the bit that confuses me is attached as an image file.

Homework Equations

The equation is shown in the attachment, and I know it's correct.

Probability = exp [ (- (EG/E)) ^ 0.5]

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically what I don't understand is simple - how the answer was found using the formula.

EG (Gamow energy) is 493 kev, E is 2 ev, but when those are subbed into the formula, my notes say you should get 1.5 x 10 ^ 7.

When I try to work it out on my calculator, it says error.

I firstly divide - EG/E, get a negative number = - 246.5
Then I try to put it to the power of a half (same as taking the square root) and I can't, because it's a minus number. I know you can't perform that operation with a minus number.
And then you're supposed to take the exponential, but I haven't managed to put it to the power of a half yet!

How on Earth does this formula work? The number you're trying to put to the power of a half is always going to be negative! :(

I'm stumped!

Hope the attachment works okay, thank you for any help.

Attachments

• whatdoesthismean.jpg
    whatdoesthismean.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 450
Physics news on Phys.org

Apologies, I've solved it!

If anyone wants to know the solution:

With that kind of equation, you're supposed to divide first, THEN put it to the power of a half, THEN add in the minus sign, THEN take the exponential.

Sorry guys!

Related to Solving Coulomb Barrier Penetrability with a Confusing Formula

1. What is Coulomb barrier penetrability?

Coulomb barrier penetrability refers to the ability of a particle to pass through a potential barrier created by the electric repulsion between two charged particles.

2. What is the formula used to solve for Coulomb barrier penetrability?

The formula used is called the Gamow factor or the Gamow-Sommerfeld factor, which is given by P = exp(-2πη), where η is the Sommerfeld parameter.

3. How do you calculate the Sommerfeld parameter (η)?

The Sommerfeld parameter can be calculated using the formula η = Z1Z2e^2/ħv, where Z1 and Z2 are the atomic numbers of the two particles, e is the elementary charge, ħ is the reduced Planck's constant, and v is the relative velocity between the two particles.

4. What is the significance of solving for Coulomb barrier penetrability?

Solving for Coulomb barrier penetrability is important in understanding nuclear reactions and processes such as nuclear fusion, radioactive decay, and particle accelerators. It also has applications in various fields of science, including astrophysics and nuclear physics.

5. Are there any limitations to the formula used to solve for Coulomb barrier penetrability?

Yes, the formula does not take into account other factors such as nuclear structure and higher order effects. It also assumes that the motion of the particles is classical and neglects quantum mechanical effects. These limitations may lead to inaccuracies in the calculated values of penetrability.