Solving Conveyor Belt Stress for Beginners

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the maximum length of a conveyor belt that can be used without causing the belt to fail from stress. The given parameters include the belt width, speed, type of belting, working tension, and other factors such as the angle of wrap and coefficient of grip. The equation for calculating the belt tension is provided, but the person is struggling to understand how to apply it to the given scenario. The problem involves considering two potential failure modes - the belt snapping or slipping on the pulley - and working backwards to determine the maximum height and length of the conveyor.
marinadiamond

Homework Statement

I am pretty confused with how to go about answering this question:
Calculate the maximum lenth of conveyor which can be used to avoid the belt failing from stress, for an installation carrying 140 t/h up a gradient of 10 degrees, if the belt width is 1.1m, the speed is 1.7 metres per second, the belt uses an 8ply belting and the max working tension is 6 kN/m ply. there's a 2 drum drivehead with an angle of wrap of 400 degrees, the coefficient of grip is 0.2.
Idler coefficients = 0.03 (when belt is empty)
0.04 (for materials)
mass of mivong parts = 65 kg/m
end pulleys etc= 35m of extra empty belt

I have looked into the belt tension equation and put a lot of effort into it, but I'm really confused,
any help in understanding it would be highly appreciated
from a confused beginner!

Homework Equations

Tb = 1.37*f*L*g*[2*mi+ (2*mb + mm)*cos (δ)] + (H*g*mm)
Where,

Tb is in Newton.

f = Coefficient of friction

L = Conveyor length in meters. Conveyor length is approximately half of the total belt length.

g = Acceleration due to gravity = 9.81 m/sec2

mi = Load due to the idlers in Kg/m.

mb = Load due to belt in Kg/m.

mm = Load due to the conveyed materials in Kg/m.

δ = Inclination angle of the conveyor in Degree.

H = vertical height of the conveyor in meters.

The Attempt at a Solution

I genuinely have no idea, i just can't understand what to do, it seems like a completely random task we've been provided

What i do know is
Tb will be somehow derived from the 7.3 kN/m ply
Also, maybe the equation F1/F1= e to the power of mu x alpha
where mu is coefficient of friction alpha is wrap angle

Any input will be highly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm just off to bed as it's late here but...

The longer the belt the higher it has to lift the material. The rate (mass per second) is fixed, so the longer the belt the more power is required. Now remembering that power is essentially force * velocity, and noting that the velocity is also fixed you can conclude the force transmitted through the belt must increase. Obviously it's more complicated but that's the idea.

Then at first glance the problem appears to provide enough info for two possible failure modes. Perhaps you have to check which is limiting with regard to belt tension?...

1) Too much tension and the belt snaps.
2) Too much tension and the belt slips on the pulley.

and then work backwards from that to the max height and length.

I've actually never done any problems to do with loads on conveyor belts but that's my take on the problem.

Related to Solving Conveyor Belt Stress for Beginners

What is the purpose of solving conveyor belt stress?

The purpose of solving conveyor belt stress is to ensure the safe and efficient operation of conveyor systems. Conveyor belts are responsible for transporting materials and products in various industries, and excessive stress on the belt can lead to damage or failure, resulting in costly downtime and potential safety hazards.

What are the common causes of conveyor belt stress?

Some common causes of conveyor belt stress include heavy loads, misalignment, improper tensioning, and material buildup. Other factors such as poor maintenance, faulty equipment, and extreme temperatures can also contribute to stress on the belt.

How do I identify if my conveyor belt is under stress?

There are several signs that can indicate stress on a conveyor belt, including abnormal noise, vibration, and wear on the belt. You may also notice uneven tension or tracking issues, as well as frequent belt replacements or repairs.

What steps should I take to solve conveyor belt stress?

The first step is to conduct a thorough inspection of the conveyor system and identify any potential sources of stress. This may include adjusting tension, realigning components, or removing any material buildup. It is also important to regularly maintain the conveyor system to prevent stress from occurring.

Can I prevent conveyor belt stress from happening?

While some stress on a conveyor belt is inevitable, there are steps that can be taken to minimize its occurrence. Regular maintenance, proper tensioning, and adequate training for operators can all help prevent stress on the belt. Additionally, investing in high-quality equipment and monitoring systems can help identify and address stress before it becomes a major issue.