Solving Complex PDEs: Refs & Suggestions Needed

In summary, I've been trying to tackle this problem but I'm a little lost at the moment and any references or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Essentially the problem boils down to solving (at least) 3 coupled partial differential equations with (at least) 2 independent variables. Now the solutions and parameters in these equations can be complex-valued and I've had trouble finding any good approaches or packages to help solve these equations. I know a bit of basic complex analysis although haven't taken a formal course in the subject yet, and am just struggling to figure out how I can build an algorithm or use an already known one to solve these complex PDEs. Here is an example of the type of equations I am considering:##
TheCanadian
Hey! I've been trying to tackle this problem but I'm a little lost at the moment and any references or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Essentially the problem boils down to solving (at least) 3 coupled partial differential equations with (at least) 2 independent variables. Now the solutions and parameters in these equations can be complex-valued and I've had trouble finding any good approaches or packages to help solve these equations. I know a bit of basic complex analysis although haven't taken a formal course in the subject yet, and am just struggling to figure out how I can build an algorithm or use an already known one to solve these complex PDEs. Here is an example of the type of equations I am considering:

## \frac {\partial A}{\partial t} = i (BC - B^*C^*) - \frac{A}{a} ##

## \frac{\partial B}{\partial t} = ibAC - \frac{B}{c} ##

## \frac{\partial C}{\partial x} = idB + e ##

where t and x are the independent variables (real numbers); a,b, c, d and e are parameters (complex); ## i = \sqrt{-1} ##; A, B, and C are the complex-valued states of the system that I am try to solve for. I've checked out a few different PDE solvers such as FiPy but they appear to only work with real values. I have begun looking into methods to solve complex PDEs such as above, but am still looking for methods better suited for my problem so that I have something to work with. If you have any material you'd suggest I look at or know of any packages well-suited to solve such equations, I'd be happy to look into them.

(I haven't put down any particular prefix for programming language since I don't mind learning something new and better suited for my problem. With that being said, I am most familiar with Python.)

Technology news on Phys.org
Here's one such reference using python:

http://ipython-books.github.io/featured-05/

If you don't have a python distro with all the necessary modules installed, I'd suggest getting the Anaconda distro where everything is integrated into one package. This link can help you get started using iPython and the notebook interface:

http://www.quant-econ.net/py/getting_started.html

Last edited by a moderator:
jedishrfu said:
Here's one such reference using python:

http://ipython-books.github.io/featured-05/

If you don't have a python distro with all the necessary modules installed, I'd suggest getting the Anaconda distro where everything is integrated into one package. This link can help you get started using iPython and the notebook interface:

http://www.quant-econ.net/py/getting_started.html

Thank you for the response. I do have anaconda installed luckily. I've actually been using that first link and have tried to play around with it but am not quite too familiar with how to modify it for complex-value solutions and differentials. For example, using their exact code and simply multiplying the differential dt by the value they have to update the variable V and also multiplying this by ## i ##, I get the following prompt:

"ComplexWarning: Casting complex values to real discards the imaginary part
# Neumann conditions: derivatives at the edges"

But keeping the imaginary part would be important for the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can always replace a single complex dependent variable with two real dependent variables (the real and imaginary parts of the original).

Related to Solving Complex PDEs: Refs & Suggestions Needed

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE (Partial Differential Equation) is an equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to describe a wide range of phenomena in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. What makes PDEs complex?

PDEs can be considered complex because they involve multiple variables, derivatives, and often have non-linear terms. They can also have boundary conditions that make them difficult to solve analytically.

3. How are PDEs solved?

There are several methods for solving PDEs, including analytical and numerical methods. Analytical methods involve finding a closed-form solution to the equation, while numerical methods use algorithms to approximate the solution.

4. Can you provide some references for solving complex PDEs?

Some commonly used references for solving complex PDEs include textbooks such as "Partial Differential Equations" by Lawrence C. Evans and "Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers" by Stanley J. Farlow. Online resources such as MathWorks and Wolfram MathWorld also offer helpful information and tools for solving PDEs.

5. What are some suggestions for approaching complex PDE problems?

Some suggestions for approaching complex PDE problems include breaking down the problem into simpler sub-problems, using symmetry and known boundary conditions to simplify the equation, and considering different numerical methods for approximating the solution. It is also important to have a solid understanding of the underlying mathematics and relevant concepts.