What is the focal length of the converging lens?

In summary, the focal length of the converging lens can be found by using the formula 1/p + 1/i = 1/f, with p = distance between object and lens, i = distance between image and lens (which is 3 times p), and 1m as the total distance between object and image. By solving for f, the focal length is determined to be 18.75 cm.
purduegrad
A real image is formed by a converging lens. It is three times higher than the object and inverted. the object and image are 1.00m apart. what is the focal length of the lens?

I assume 3 = the magnitude...the 1.00 m is confusing me since its the total distance

i tried using 1/p + 1/i = 1/f, to try to get the focal length...apparently its 18.8cm...

Physics news on Phys.org
Let p be the distance between the object and the lens, then the distance between the image and the lens is 3p since the magnification is 3.

By applying
1/p + 1/i = 1/f

we have
[tex]\frac{1}{p} + \frac{1}{3p} = \frac{1}{f} [/tex] ... (1)

Since the object and the image is 1m apart,
p + 3p = 1 ......(2)

By solving (1) and (2), you'll get 18.75 cm.

Great work on using the thin lens equation to solve for the focal length! The 1.00m distance between the object and image is the total distance, so we can use it as the sum of the object distance (p) and image distance (i). Plugging in the values, we get: 1/(-1.00) + 1/(1.00) = 1/f. Solving for f, we get 18.8 cm. This means that the converging lens has a focal length of 18.8 cm. Keep up the good work!

1. What is optics and how does it relate to images?

Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of light, including its interaction with matter. It is also concerned with the formation and properties of images when light is reflected, refracted, or diffracted. Optics is essential in understanding how images are formed and perceived by the human eye.

2. What are the different types of lenses and how do they affect images?

There are two main types of lenses: convex and concave. Convex lenses are thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, causing light rays to converge and form real, inverted images. Concave lenses are thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges, causing light rays to diverge and form virtual, upright images. The shape and curvature of a lens determine its focal length and how it affects the resulting image.

3. How do mirrors and lenses differ in their ability to form images?

Both mirrors and lenses can form images, but they differ in how they do so. Mirrors reflect light rays, causing them to change direction and form an image. Lenses refract light rays, causing them to bend and converge or diverge to form an image. Mirrors produce virtual images, while lenses can produce both real and virtual images depending on the type of lens and the object's location.

4. What is the difference between a real image and a virtual image?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a specific point, resulting in an image that can be projected onto a screen or captured by a camera. A virtual image, on the other hand, is formed when light rays appear to converge at a point, but they do not actually do so. Virtual images cannot be projected onto a screen and are perceived by the eye as if the object is located behind the mirror or lens.

5. How do we use the laws of reflection and refraction to analyze images?

The laws of reflection and refraction describe how light behaves when it encounters a surface or passes through a medium. These laws can be used to determine the location, size, and orientation of images formed by mirrors and lenses. By understanding how light rays interact with surfaces and materials, we can predict and analyze the formation of images in various optical systems.