Solving Combination Circuits for i, i1 & v

In summary, Kirchoff's law states that the current through a resistor (I_t) is equal to the voltage across it (V), multiplied by the resistance (R).
timeforplanb

Homework Statement

Find the equivalent resistance seen by the source and use the result to find i, i1, and v.
combination circuit.jpg

Homework Equations

V=IR

for series circuits:
RT=R1+R2+...+Rn
VT=V1+V2+...+Vn

for parallel circuits:
IT=I1+I2+...+In
1/RT=(1/R1+1/R2+...+1/Rn)

The Attempt at a Solution

since 30Ω and 6Ω are parallel,
1/R=(1/6+1/30)=1/5
R=5

R=5Ω and 3Ω are series, so:
RT=5+3
RT=8Ω

i solved for the i using this:
i=V/R1=48/3
i=16 A

in getting the total current, i did two things. is this the right thing to do?
IT=V/RT=48/8
IT=9.6 A

or this?
IT=VT/RT=(48+v)/8
however, i don't know how to get v there.

or are both of them wrong? help! I'm new to this that's why I'm still a little confused. thank you very much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, i is definitely wrong. Why would the full 48 volts of the source drop across the 3 ohm resistor? It wouldn't. I_T, however, should be right, what makes you say that it isn't? 48V/Rt

i wasn't sure, that was all. anyways, how would i compute for the v then? and for i and i1? can you please give me the equations? thank you.

You should use Kirchoff law.

48V=3I_t + 6I_1

and I_t=I_1+I_2, where I_2 is the current through the 30 ohms resistor.

You find I_2 from these equations and then use V=30(ohms)*I_2, but i don't understand what + V - means.. anyway the absolute value should be right, I'm not sure if it's negative or positive, it depends on what that sign means (+ V -)

Note the polarity of the battery in the circuit. The + terminal is on the bottom. Since it's the only source in the circuit you can be sure that it will drive current out of its + terminal and into the circuit. That means that the actual current flows should looks as in the attached figure where they're indicated in red.

Note that these "actual" currents run counter to the currents originally labelled on the circuit diagram. You should assume that those labelled directions (as well as the indicated polarity for v across the 50 Ohm resistor) are the ones that are to be used for purposes of reporting your answers. That is, in this case the values that you will assign to i, i1, and v will be negative.

Attachments

• Fig5.jpg
    Fig5.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 434
thank you flyerpower!
gneill - i'll keep that in mind. thanks, too :D

Related to Solving Combination Circuits for i, i1 & v

What is a combination circuit?

A combination circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of both series and parallel connections of resistors and other components. This type of circuit can have a mix of both series and parallel components, making it more complex to solve than a single type of circuit.

How do I solve combination circuits for current (i), current in a specific branch (i1), and voltage (v)?

To solve combination circuits for current, you can use Ohm's law (i = v/R) and Kirchhoff's current law. For current in a specific branch, you can use the current divider rule (i1 = i * (R1/(R1+R2))). To solve for voltage, you can use Kirchhoff's voltage law and the voltage divider rule (v = i * R).

What is the difference between series and parallel connections in a combination circuit?

In a series connection, the components are connected one after the other in a single path, and the current remains constant throughout. In a parallel connection, the components are connected in multiple paths, and the voltage remains constant across each path while the current divides between them.

What are the key concepts to keep in mind when solving combination circuits?

When solving combination circuits, it is important to remember Kirchhoff's laws (current and voltage), Ohm's law, and the current and voltage divider rules. It is also important to understand the difference between series and parallel connections, and how the current and voltage behave in each type of connection.

Can combination circuits be solved using only one method?

No, combination circuits cannot be solved using only one method. Since these circuits have a mix of series and parallel components, it is necessary to use different methods and laws to solve for current, current in a specific branch, and voltage.